• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holger’s Binocular Book - in English in 2023! (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
Many will be aware of Holger Merlitz’s book 'Handferngläser: Funktion, Leistung, Auswahl' (Handheld Binoculars: Function, Performance, Selection).
It was first published in 2013 and then updated in 2019. The original edition was 200 pages with more than 130 images.

The English portion of Holger’s site has recently been updated with the following 'New to come (spring 2023): The Binocular Handbook'
(see: Binoculars Corner )

A PDF of the first 41 pages of the earlier edition (in German) can be found at: MMT - Documents
And see the attached Table of Contents in English (it together with some other pages translated into English were previously available on Holger’s site).

John

Attachments

• TOC a.jpg
    TOC a.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 92
  • TOC b.jpg
    TOC b.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 90
  • TOC c.jpg
    TOC c.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Many will be aware of Holger Merlitz’s book 'Handferngläser: Funktion, Leistung, Auswahl' (Handheld Binoculars: Function, Performance, Selection).
It was first published in 2013 and then updated in 2019. The original edition was 200 pages with more than 130 images.

The English portion of Holger’s site has recently been updated with the following 'New to come (spring 2023): The Binocular Handbook'
(see: Binoculars Corner )

A PDF of the first 41 pages of the earlier edition (in German) can be found at: MMT - Documents
And see the attached Table of Contents in English (it together with some other pages translated into English were previously available on Holger’s site).

John
John, any idea about how/where to buy?

Some More Details

In relation to the forthcoming book, Holger has recently added:
• a preliminary Table of Contents;

• a copy of the Preface, and;

• a copy of Chapter 9 'Binocular Evaluation and Field Testing'.

See at: Binoculars Corner

And as Holger notes:
'Kindly mind the copyright restrictions and do not use any of the contents presented here without prior permission from its author, Holger Merlitz.'

John

Thanks a lot, John, for broadcasting these good news! No worries about that copyright thing, it is for my dear publisher who would otherwise feel a little nervous. Everything can be discussed, there are no problems with screen shots.

It is not yet clear whether the book will be printed or just appear as an electronic version. My publisher seems to prefer the latter, but I would like to have a printed version, too, even if its price were a bit on the high side (recently, paper and printing costs have increased a lot). We will see - there are ongoing negotiations and I will inform you once things have settled.

Cheers,
Holger

I would certainly only be interested in a printed edition, many publishers use print on demand to avoid holding stock when numbers are unknown. Fingers crossed.

Peter

Holger told me has found an editor (Springer) for the printed version of the English text (talks with the editor of the German version did apparently not work out), so the book seems to be really happening 👍😄

Springer-Verlag is as prestigious as it gets in academic publishing, congratulations to Holger. I personally prefer eBooks as I downsized and no longer have space for many bookshelves, plus it's handy to have reference books always at your fingertips on your phone or iPad.

When Canip refers to "editor", he really means "publisher", as the Italian word is "editore" (sorry for the nit-picking, but my wife is an editor, the person who helps writers make better books with edits).

Yes, these are good news, since with Springer this project is going to be executed in a highly professional manner. It will take a little more time than anticipated, however, since there will be rather strict requirements regarding formatting and proofreading. Much likely I will have to improve the quality of some of the sketches, too. But since this is going to yield a better product, these extra efforts will be a good investment. Initially, there will be a printed edition, but Springer commonly makes eBook versions as well and I am looking forward to working with them on such a project, too.

Cheers,
Holger

Nice! Will there be a hardcover edition? Will it have proper thread stitched binding? If it is an upgrade to the German edition I already own, I might have to get the English edition, too.

Nice! Will there be a hardcover edition? Will it have proper thread stitched binding? If it is an upgrade to the German edition I already own, I might have to get the English edition, too.

Hardcover, thread stitching - well, I don't guess so, but we may some time later request a birdforum special edition with such (and more) features :)

Cheers,
Holger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back