• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday in September (1 Viewer)

dawny

Hi I will be staying near Brecon for a couple of weeks at the beginning of September and wondered if anyone could tel me some good spots for combining walking and bird watching and what might be around at that time of year. I would love to see a ring ouzel or red grouse.

Thanks

Your best bet for Ring Ouzel will be the Craig Cerrig Gleisiad reserve just off the A470 about halfway between Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.A little late in the season for them but there should still be a few around.Its also a great place for a variety of upland species like Peregrine,Raven,Red Kite,Buzzard,Whinchat and Skylark.
Red Grouse are not as abundant as they once were in this area but the best place I know for them is on the Blorenge Mountain above Abergavenny.You can park in the Foxhunter Car Park at SO264108 which is just off the B4246 road between Llanfoist and Blaenavon.Walk the well worn footpath to the trig point and you will be guaranteed to see Red Grouse.My last count here was 17 individuals.The views are absolutely stunning too so some great walking country.
Have fun!

Thanks you so much Mike. I will definately give your suggestions a go. The whole area looks stunning from the pictures I've seen and it will be great to see some good birds as well - I can't wait to go .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back