• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Holy Sh!tsn*cks !!! Close call in 'Cougar Town' (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
What magnificent animals - beautiful - anyone who has seen one is very privileged indeed.

They are, and I am. I know only two other people who have seen one in the wild and I know that because we were on a backpack in the Sierra Nevada when we saw one checking out our alpine camp at dusk.
When we awoke the following morning there were fresh cat tracks meandering between our tents. We had no clue. That sparked the morning conversation. :smoke:

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
They are, and I am. I know only two other people who have seen one in the wild and I know that because we were on a backpack in the Sierra Nevada when we saw one checking out our alpine camp at dusk.
When we awoke the following morning there were fresh cat tracks meandering between our tents. We had no clue. That sparked the morning conversation. :smoke:
Wow ! That sounds awesome :t: if a little too close for comfort ! :eek!:

I would love to see a Cougar o:)

About the closest I have come is having distant cousin, the Leopard jump onto the roof of my grass hut one night in Nepal. I have never been so scared in all my life (well until 2 days later as it turns out ! :eek!: ). I can tell you it is entirely possible to stop breathing and almost stop your heart from beating !!

The 'guards' at the 'resort' that I was staying at, who were 'tracking' the Leopard, and 'scared' it off - were handily 'armed' with lanterns and sticks !!

I recall a line in a poem or something, which went:
"beautiful death that comes in the night" ....

Does anyone know of it ??

Chosun :gh:

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
That was a camera phone and they are very wide angle unless zoomed (that one wasn't). That cougar was right in his face. :eek!:

Not sure how well I might have performed in the same situation....

John
That's what I was thinking. The perspective seems to be on the wide angle side of the equation - making that cat waaaay too close for comfort ! There are times where it looked just about within pouncing range ! and almost seemed to be contemplating it too ....

I'm not sure how any of us would have gone - I suspect a deep instinctual need for survival takes over to a large extent.

I think he could have helped himself more by concentrating more on the backing away with appropriate haste - and less on the filming ......

Chosun :gh:

Users who are viewing this thread