• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holy Sh!tsn*cks !!! Close call in 'Cougar Town' (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
lol - excuse the exclamation - blame it on watching AO cartoon - 'Archer' :-O Close call with a Cougar (Mountain Lion) ....

A while back I talked about the various dangerous critters faced while birding in different countries - with all the things that kill you out here, I think I'd still rather face them than be torn to shreds ! :eek!:

Extraordinary footage of a dude (who admittedly did the wrong thing by approaching the cubs) who has a tense, terrifying full-on encounter with one very p**d off (yet perfectly controlled ;) ) mumma Cougar ......

It got to the point where I'm thinking - okay - your babies are hundreds of metres back - why are you still followin' me ?!?
(I can identify with the involuntary screaming ! :eek!: :)

Judging by the way my friend's tiny little cat latches on to you when it has suckered you into chest rubs - I think if one of these beasties really wanted to go you - you'd be in real - Yikes !! - trouble :eek!::eek!:

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/1...Ls_VAz8Ki8LKycV-lRGT5QxfJeCZVJ-UG19xFhJvZN-Zo

Chosun :gh:

I responded to your post in that binocular discussion but deleted that post for off topic reasons.

I have several observations about it...

1. He is rather profane, for a Mormon!

2. It seems his concern about getting the video became an existential threat. Was he preoccupied with how this would look on his f***book page or on YouTube? Because he was excruciatingly slow to figure out the throwing the rock bit, or grabbing a big stick for that matter.

Overall he did OK, but let's face it... he got lucky

I've had 5 (five) observation/encounters with Mountain Lions (as we call them around here), but none were particularly threatening, thankfully.

As an aside, I've recently learned in the Pacific Northwest Mountain Lions can get up to 200 lbs (90 kg) and on Vancouver Island alone there's close to 1000 of them!

Last edited:
I saw this a few days ago - think he was jogging and presumably didn't see the cubs till quite late?

Presumably the mother would have told the cubs to hide, hence she then had the time to see off the 'predator'.

Throwing rocks - people don't always know about it. Often with dogs all you have to do is stoop down and pretend to pick up a stone for it to be effective.

Apparently it’s recommended not to bend down to pick up stones as this increases your vulnerability, even momentarily. Try to grab something at hand level! And, don’t risk your life by concentrating on filming the encounter!!!!
Cheers
James

Yes, don't bend down when it's only 6 feet away from you! I would have thought the standing up again and making yourself 'big' wouldn't hurt though.

I assumed (?) that it was one of those headband cameras, so he wasn't foolishly filming by hand per se.

Often with dogs all you have to do is stoop down and pretend to pick up a stone for it to be effective.

Yes but only where they know what stooping to pick up a stone is likely to be followed by. Of course that means pretty much everywhere in less developed countries: I doubt the puma knew what was coming.

It didn't look like it was _that_ close from what I could see, and it seemed to me that it hadn't made up its mind what it wanted to do (and yes I know they can cover a lot of ground very quickly when they want to)

I saw this a few days ago - think he was jogging and presumably didn't see the cubs till quite late?

Presumably the mother would have told the cubs to hide, hence she then had the time to see off the 'predator'....

He saw the cubs - thought they were bobcats - and proceeded to approach closer (for some killer social media footage ?).

Pretty dumb - even if they were bobcats - did he figure they were motherless and he wouldn't have to face the same situation with an angry wildcat ?

It was only after invading the cubs secure space that he had an angry mumma cougar all up in his face .....

:-O
Then deliver, dude8-P
Lol :-O That's not my department :cat:

Of the 'cougars' I know, 1 bottle of wine may not even be enough ! (It's the Catholic School Teachers that seem the worst ! :)

Unlike when faced with a real Mountain Lion, the advice I would give to any potential male 'prey' - would be - Rruuuuuun !! :-O

..... Because he was excruciatingly slow to figure out the throwing the rock bit, or grabbing a big stick for that matter.

Overall he did OK, but let's face it... he got lucky

I've had 5 (five) observation/encounters with Mountain Lions (as we call them around here), but none were particularly threatening, thankfully.

As an aside, I've recently learned in the Pacific Northwest Mountain Lions can get up to 200 lbs (90 kg) and on Vancouver Island alone there's close to 1000 of them!

Apparently it’s recommended not to bend down to pick up stones as this increases your vulnerability, even momentarily. Try to grab something at hand level! And, don’t risk your life by concentrating on filming the encounter!!!!

Yes, don't bend down when it's only 6 feet away from you! I would have thought the standing up again and making yourself 'big' wouldn't hurt though...

What magnificent animals - beautiful - anyone who has seen one is very privileged indeed.

I can understand not bending down to pick up a rock - that may in fact inspire an attack. These are beasts of instinct - advantage and opportunity.

I also question adopting an overly threatening posture initially close to the cubs - mumma's prime initial concern would have been defence of her cubs. Backing away would be the number one priority. You don't have to worry about thinking of expletives /involuntary utterances - they will just come out ! :eek!:

Perhaps after putting some distance between you - kicking a rock may be an option ? It's a conundrum - obviously picking up a rock helps as a weapon - it's just a matter of the right time and place to do it .... ?
Same goes for going from being non-threatening to too big and ornery to tackle ......

After several run-ins with big cranky roos, and snakes, I pretty much take to carrying a stick or rocks with me as well as the binos !

Mumma would have been around ~55kg (120lb) according to the average female weights, and considering that their prey wears full leather jackets - a nice soft pink meat sack would seem entirely doable.

Watching that video, there almost seems a time there where the cougar seems to be thinking - well the kids are out of danger ...... but then again - they are hungry .......... :eek!:

Last edited:
It didn't look like it was _that_ close from what I could see, and it seemed to me that it hadn't made up its mind what it wanted to do (and yes I know they can cover a lot of ground very quickly when they want to)

That was a camera phone and they are very wide angle unless zoomed (that one wasn't). That cougar was right in his face. :eek!:

Not sure how well I might have performed in the same situation....

John

A friend who is contemplating moving to Oz from California is being tutored by a work associate of his from Oz. When asked about all the poisonous things Australia is known for the guy said it's overstated and people get on just fine.
I reminded my friend that we have Black Widow spiders, Rattlesnakes, Mountain Lions, Great White Sharks, and unsavory characters right here and we (collectively) seem to not fall victim too often.
Statistically, mosquitos are the most dangerous animal in the world, by far.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back