• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HONDURAN EMERALD Amazilia luciae (1 Viewer)

bobhandal

Hello, I see very little things said about Honduras, it is awesome for birding and wildlife. This past weekend we went to Santa Barbara, a department in Honduras that this bird was just recently sighted in this new area . Initially this endemic bird was thought to be found only in Olanchito, we set out to find them, and although it wasn't the right time, we still came back with the satisfaction of finding them in another area.
I hope you like the photos..

Attachments

• _D8X4760SM.jpg
    _D8X4760SM.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 79
  • _D8X4720SM3.jpg
    _D8X4720SM3.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 72
  • _D8X4663SM.jpg
    _D8X4663SM.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 76
  • _D8X4729SM.jpg
    _D8X4729SM.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Bobhandal -
Good to see a post from Honduras. Some good pictures of a bird I haven't had the pleasure of seeing. How would you rate the about the safety of visting birders these days?

Steve

usually birders are a different type of tourist, usually away from main cities. In small towns there is no really dangers unless out looking for them. Like any other country, go with guides that know their way around. I think that all Latin America is a tad dangerous, but usually and in general it is safe. Dont dangle your 500mm lens in rough neighborhoods, or leave in car, that is asking for trouble. Travel in groups , not alone.

Bobhandal -
How would you rate the about the safety of visting birders these days?

Steve

I'm glad you figured out what I was trying to ask. :-O And to think I'm trying to learn Spanish! I apparently need to learn my own language...8-P

Steve

As I remember, Howell and Webb mention the type speciment being (incorrectly) labelled as being collected in Santa Barbara. Thye eventually found it a few kms to the west of Olanchito (where the pipe organ canctus begin).

Maybe the type specimen was correctly labelled!!!

It could be, but they are not nearly as plentiful in Santa Barbara as they are in Olanchito. The interesting thing is that the flower they feed from in both areas is red and very similar is appearance to an untrained eye (mine, he he).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back