• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Honey buzzard migration (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I saw a Honey buzzard yesterday at La Janda, near Vejer, Andalucia, Spain. I thought it was late in the year for migration. Then this morning 10 Honey buzzards flew over my house, going North. Are they young ones migrating late?
I attach 2 photos from this morning, they show one dark and one light bird. Is this variation normal?

Attachments

• DSC_7736.jpg
    DSC_7736.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_7739.jpg
    DSC_7739.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 73

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
They vary incredibly from almost black to near white, with a host of tones inbetween, rusty red, brown, grey. Great images by the way.

gerald762

England
Thanks for the compliment. Do you think these birds are late to migrate? Or are some last years hatchlings and possibly not old enough to breed?

Ernest Garcia

The Honey-buzzards arriving now are tail-enders of the main spring passage at the Strait, which invariably peaks during the first ten days of May. They are likely to be adults from the northern part of the nesting range. Some passage continues right through June and there are stragglers throughout July. I have even seen two arriving in early August (at Bolonia). These very late birds seem more likely to be non-breeders although apparently most young birds remain in Africa until maturity.

Users who are viewing this thread