• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzards in North of England (1 Viewer)

sav

Does anyone know of any WELL PUBLICISED watchpoints for Honey Buzzards in Northern England? Are there any organised viewpoints as there are e.g. for the Honey Buzzards in Norfolk, or the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite and Loch Garten?

Steve G said:
Are there (m)any Honey Buzzards in the North of England?

I've been told by lots of local birders that there are a few breeding pairs, especially in (North?) Yorkshire - they mentioned an RSPB watchpoint somewhere but i've forgotten the details.

Steve G said:
Are there (m)any Honey Buzzards in the North of England?

THAT'S the question! ;) We seem to have had a few Rough-legged so far this year but I honestly don't know abut Honeys :h?: ....always thought they were more of a passage bird and it's a case of pot-luck if you DO see them. ;) I've certainly never seen any!
Sure some of the Northumberland guys will be along soon....they'll have more idea than me.

GILL

Just a reminder (if it was needed) that details of any breeding sites should not be put on here unless they are organised watches etc.

Thanks,

robinm said:
Just a reminder (if it was needed) that details of any breeding sites should not be put on here unless they are organised watches etc.

Thanks,

Thats why I emphasised that it was an ORGANISED watchpoint I wanted to find out about. cheers

honey buzzard

there are a couple of sites in northern england, north wales and eastern scotland but none of these sites have organised watches. try great swanton wood swanton novers norfolk. there is a watch point here. i dont know if the birds are here this year but they have been fairly regular at this site

I think that the site that you are referring to may be:

Wykeham Forest

Directions: Access north off the A170 at Wykeham village; the viewpoint raptor lies west of the High Brow Viewpoint.

Grid Reference: SE9488

There were plenty of published records of HB in June 2003 but less in 2004.

In a similar vein to Private Eye

... perhaps someone out there has a photo of a HB in suitable habitat in Northumberland they could share with us to illustrate northern breeding HB?....
;)

God, i've been holding that back for ages...
Anyone else?

Clumber Park - not exactly northern - but did have birds for years and years and there was a watchpoint over Welbeck Lake but i heard the birds weren't present last year?

Tim

Rob Smallwood said:

Wykeham Forest

Directions: Access north off the A170 at Wykeham village; the viewpoint raptor lies west of the High Brow Viewpoint.

Cheers Rob
Thats the place I was thinking of; I think I've seen it in the Yorkshire Where to Watch book as well
Many thanks

Rob Smallwood said:

Wykeham Forest

Hello i have also Heard of this Viewpoint, with me being just over here in Cleveland i am tempted to have a wonder up there to see what is about? what Raptors Should i expect to see? and when is the best time to visit? e.g winter/summer, early morning or dusk ?
Thanks

I have to say that I have never been - but reports seem to suggest that it is a Honey Buzzard spot first and foremost, with occasional sightings of Goshawk.

Reports seem to be throughout the day, between early June and mid-August.

tom mckinney said:
I know it's not up north, but does anyone know if the watchpoint near to Exeter (was it Haldon?) has been any good in recent years?

Sorry Tom. That viewpoint has long gone for Honey's. Rumour has it that Starcross may be where they moved to but that is definitely not confirmed.

Haldon can still be good on its day but they can be few and far between.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back