• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong and Bali April 2017 (1 Viewer)

PJSharp

Day 0 - Heathrow
Wednesday 5 April

At a safely birdless Heathrow, admiring the sun setting at the end of a day mostly stuck in a London office. Tonight a flight to Hong Kong (HK) for the first part of a holiday there and then Bali. The trip will be a mix of time relaxing, seeing the in-laws and birding. Hopefully tomorrow we will arrive in time for a late afternoon walk in Kowloon Park and a little birding. Then the rugby 7s, three days of drinking, recovering on Monday and a full day birding on Tuesday at Mai Po. Thereafter we'll see.

I'll try to update you with how it goes and what I see as I go along. If I have the time I'll wrap up with a more detailed report. For now my drink is going flat, so good night and I will let you know what tomorrow brings...

Happy birding, Paul

Day 1 - Kowloon, HK

Our flight arrived on time, and it only took us 30 minutes to clear security and collect our bags. As we had seats in the middle section of the plane no birds were seen on arrival, and as we left the airport by bus I couldn't identify a few roadside mynas.

Arriving at our stop in Kowloon the first identifiable birds of the trip were a few Tree Sparrows. After collecting the keys to our flat for our stay, dropping off our bags and changing we headed out.

In muggy 24C overcast weather we walked over to the King's Park, a new place for me, quite birdy with lots of common urban HK birds. We saw Feral Pigeon, Spotted Doves, Red Whiskered and Light-vented Bulbuls, Masked Laughingthrush , Black-collared Starling, Oriental Magpie-Robin, a single Black-eared Kite, Cinereous Tits, a Yellow-browed Warbler, Common Tailorbird and many more Tree Sparrow. As these are all common birds here I shan't now repeat them elsewhere in HK.

Finally as the evening closed in we spent 40 minutes in Kowloon Park, adding Alexandrine Parakeets and Black-crowned Nightherons. Tiredness and a light drizzle encouraged us home.

That's all for today. Given rugby 7s over next few days it might be Monday before my next update. All the best, Paul

Days 2 to 4 - HK Rugby Stadium / Causeway Bay
Friday 7 April to Sunday 9 April 2017

As anticipated, 3 boozy raucous days at the rugby 7s in very hot and often sunny conditions. I don't take my binoculars with me to the rugby, but in addition to many of the common birds seen on my first day I saw a noisy flock of the introduced Yellow-crested Cockatoo flying over the stadium on the Saturday morning, two Red-billed Blue Magpies feeding on insects drawn to the lights on Sunday morning and a Large-billed Crow both days.

It is now Monday morning and if I get out to a park with my binoculars as I recover from the weekend I will let you know what I see.

Cheers Paul

Day 5 - Kowloon Walled City Park
Monday 10 April 2017

I got out to Kowloon Walled City Park for a couple of hours around mid-day with my wife. This was a first visit to another nice urban park with an interesting history and some good urban birds. These included Common Magpie, Azure-winged Magpie, and Red-billed Blue Magpie, White throated Kingfisher, Blue Whistlingthrush, Common and Crested Mynas, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Japanese White-eye and Barn Swallows overhead. I’m not listing every species, for a full list see my reports on ebird.

Right, time to be sociable. Mai Po beckons tomorrow. More then, Paul

Day 6 - Mai Po Nature Reserve
Tuesday 11 April 2017 (Part 1)

I left Kowloon at 06:45, taking the MTR to Yuen Long and then a taxi to the Mai Po Nature Reserve (MPNR) entrance, arriving about 7:30am. The day started bright and sunny, getting hot and then cloudy before a few light late afternoon showers.

I spent the first hour birding the fish ponds between Mai Po village and the park entrance, but this area was relatively quiet compared to previous visits - no pipits or wagtails for example. I saw little I wasn’t to see later in MPNR itself, good numbers of White-shouldered Starlings and a Black Drongo were an indication of more sightings to come. Returning to the park entrance 3 Pacific Swifts were the only ones seen during the day. After sorting out my permits I met up with three other visiting birders and we made our way into the park at about 8.30am.

As I logged 88 species over the next 8 hours I won’t list them all, only those of more interest to visiting NW European birders like me.

Between the entrance and the warden’s hut scanning the fish ponds produced my only White-throated Kingfisher of the day. After checking in with the warden, who confirmed high tide was at 10:30, I was undecided as to whether to quickly head to the mangrove hides or not. Walking past the first tower hide I picked out a single summer plumage Black-faced Bunting, then approaching hide 8 it was clear good numbers of waders were on the adjacent pond. Based on this I reckoned the tide had already pushed waders off of the mudflats and onto the reserve, and so resolved to bird the reserve first.

From hide 8 we had great views of a nice selection of waders, the highlights for me, and my only lifer of the day, were a few Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, but other nice waders included Great Knot, Marsh Sandpipers, Terek Sandpipers, Red-necked Stints, a single Long-toed Stint, with many of the waders in stunning summer plumage. Eventually we moved along to the main scrape, seeing our first Collared Crows, but little else of note.

To be continued...

Last edited:
How did you get permits for Mai Po? From what I could see on the website you have to work for a nature conservation body to qualify, unless you join a guided tour.
I will hopefully be visiting HK next winter for a few days, and this would be top of my 'to do' list - I do have form though; on my last attempted visit (in 1988, when HK was still British) I got chucked out, after failing to secure a permit in advance because of everything being shut for Chinese New Year.

How to get a “One day pass for overseas naturalist”

Hi Kb57,

Getting permits to visit Mai Po if you are visiting from overseas, getting there and getting in is actually much easier than it looks at first sight, and than my description might imply.

To qualify for the pass you have to be a member (not employee) of a recognised nature society - so the RSPB for me, and be an overseas resident. Print out the form from the WWF HK website, fill it out, scan it, alongside a copy of your passport and RSPB (or equivalent) membership card and email this all to the address from the website. You need to do this a bit in advance, at least 5 working days. The WWF staff are very helpfull and will get back to you to confirm everything is ok.

When planning your trip try to pick a weekday (quieter), with a high tide above 2.0m, to bring shoreline birds close to the mangrove hides, and on to the main reserve. The place is vast, much bigger than you expect, try to spend all day there. If you are going in the winter I suggest making sure you look at the less frequently visited southern end of the reserve as that is where I have tended to see wintering eagles in the past. HK birders on birdforum could I am sure provide better advice.

Good luck with your trip, Paul

Last edited:
Day 6
(Part 2)

From hide 1 at the eastern end of the main scrape it was clear that large numbers or waders and terns, being harried by an Eastern Marsh Harrier were present at the far west end. So we moved along to hides 5 and 6 to check these out. Highlights included a Saunder’s Gull amongst the many Gull-billed and Caspian Terns, Far Eastern Curlew, Greater Sandplover, good numbers of Terek Sandpipers and a few Pacific Golden Plovers amongst many more common waders. We failex to pick out either Asiatic Dowitcher or Nordman’s Greenshank.

As the first few waders looked to be moving back out to the tidal mudflats three of us followed them, heading to the Northern mangrove hide. The walk along the pontoons to the hide produced little, but thanfully when we reached the hide the tide hadn’t receded too far.

Black-faced Spoonbills were still present, though mostly roosting (so far only 3 had been seen in flight), a couple of Whiskered Terns lurked amidst the larger Caspian and Gull-billed Terns and Black-headed Gulls, a few Broad-billed Sandpipers scurried about in with the many Red-necked Stints, and a Little Stint, pointed out by another friendly birder in the hide (thank you John), who also gave some helpful tips on seperating the Lesser and Greater Sandplovers present.

In summarising a few of the better birds I rather underplay the sheer number of birds - waders, gulls, terns, egrets and ducks present. It was fantastic birding, even without any of the enigmatic Spoonbilled Sandpipers, Nordman’s Greenshank or Asiatic Dowitchers we were hoping for. By about 2pm the tide and attendent birds had gone too far out, so I made my way back through the mangroves. After having been teased by the prospect of (not) seeing Pleske’s Grasshopper Warbler, I tried to convince myself a skulking [/B]Oriental Reed Warbler[/B] might be one, but I saw it just too well!

On reaching the boundary gate I returned South, having time to spare. These pools held very little compared to visits earlier in the year on previous visits, but did hold the only Eastern Spot-billed Duck of my visit, and oddly the only two Great Cormorant, usually present in the 100s. From here I retraced my route to the mangrove hide gate and then cut east back across the reserve to re-visit hide 8 and then the tower hide. By now rain had set in, and I added little new, a soggy Eastern Buzzard being my penultimate new bird for the day. The final new bird was a Common Kingfisher on one of the fishponds as I approached the warden’s hut on my exit. Oddly I only saw two kingfishers all day - and pretty much my first and last birds in the reserve.

I returned my pass about 4:30, and the lady on reception kindly called a taxi to take me back to Yuen Long. By 5:30 I was back in Kowloon.

More, but I suspect only urban birding (in HK), to come, all the best, Paul

Day 7 - Kowloon Park
Wednesday 12 April 2017

Around lunchtime we spent about half an hour in Kowloon Park, the only new bird for the trip a female Black-winged Cuckooshrike.

Day 8 - King’s Park
Thursday 13 April 2017

Late afternoon and I spent 45 minutes in King’s Park, in addition to nice views of a Blue Whistlingthrush, and another new bird for the trip, a first summer Mugimaki Flycatcher were highlights.

Regards, Paul

Day 8 - Lamma Island
Friday 14 April 2017

A lovely sunny, hot but not humid day, we took a ferry to Sok Kwu Wan from Central, arriving about 12:30, and following the 2 hour walk North across the island to take the ferry back from Yung Shue Long after lunch. On leaving Sok Kwu Wan I was suprised to see a Collared Crow away from Mai Po, and pleased to see my first Oriental Turtle Dove of this trip. Crossing the island I added Crested Serpent Eagle, and near the power station, House Swifts for the trip too. Whilst eating lunch I saw an immature Blue Rockthrush, feeding around boulders on the beach, as my final trip addition for the day.

Happy birding, Paul

Last edited:
Day 9 - Kowloon Park
Saturday 15 April 2017

Another lovely hot and mostly sunny day, mostly spent shopping. Thirty minutes in Kowloon Park in the late morning produced only common urban HK birds, but it was interesting to watch the Black-crowned Nightherons flying in with nesting material.

Tomorrow we fly to Bali, subject to having the time and wifi I will let you know how we get on.

Cheers, Paul

Day 10 - transfer from HK to Bali
Sunday 16 April 2017

Largely a travel day. Our flight was slightly delayed in leaving HK around 10.40am, last bird seen at the airport a pair of Crested Mynas. Landing at Denpassar our first bird for Bali was a Cattle Egret. Leaving the airport I saw a White-breasted Woodswallow, and once past Tambunan, a Javan Pond Heron, and 3 White-breasted Waterhen amongst more Cattle Egrets in rice paddies. Unfortunately we arrived at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge too late to see anything else.

Happy Easter, Paul

How to get a “One day pass for overseas naturalist”

Hi Kb57,

Getting permits to visit Mai Po if you are visiting from overseas, getting there and getting in is actually much easier than it looks at first sight, and than my description might imply.

To qualify for the pass you have to be a member (not employee) of a recognised nature society - so the RSPB for me, and be an overseas resident. Print out the form from the WWF HK website, fill it out, scan it, alongside a copy of your passport and RSPB (or equivalent) membership card and email this all to the address from the website. You need to do this a bit in advance, at least 5 working days. The WWF staff are very helpfull and will get back to you to confirm everything is ok.

When planning your trip try to pick a weekday (quieter), with a high tide above 2.0m, to bring shoreline birds close to the mangrove hides, and on to the main reserve. The place is vast, much bigger than you expect, try to spend all day there. If you are going in the winter I suggest making sure you look at the less frequently visited southern end of the reserve as that is where I have tended to see wintering eagles in the past. HK birders on birdforum could I am sure provide better advice.

Good luck with your trip, Paul

Thanks a lot Paul, really helpful info., and enjoying reading the rest of your reports too - both my wife and I are RSPB members, we'll take your advice on timing on board! Enjoy Bali!

Ok, so I didn’t manage any updates once into our trip to Bali, sorry about that, too busy enjoying myself.

I’m now sat at HK airport, having flown in from Bali, and we are waiting for our return flight to the UK . It’s late at night so no more birds for my HK list. As for Bali, we had a great time, the people are lovely, the food enjoyable and the island is still very beautiful. As I hope to write a more comprehensive trip report I’ll just summarise the birding for now.

On a general note birding in Bali is good, if a little odd. Trapping for the cage bird trade has reduced the population of birds that were common even ten years ago to vanishingly small levels, and with a few exceptions birds are really only present in protected areas - which includes temples. The exceptions are Tree Sparrow, Yelow-vented Bulbul, Cave Swiftlet, Cattle Egret, Little Egret and Javan Pondheron, which are generally present in suitable habitat.I won’t repeat details of these species below.

Day 11 - Sarinbuana Eco-lodge
Monday 17 April 2017

I spent two hours birding the grounds of the lodge from dawn at 6am, before breakfast with my wife. The lodge and local community have a no hunting/trapping policy in place, local bird populations are increasing and as a result it has a birdy feel. Highlights in these first two hours included Grey-cheeked Green Pigeon, Freckle-breasted Woodpecker, Olive-backed Tailorbird, Orange-bellied Flowerpecker, Short-tailed Starling, Scarlet Minivet, and Olive-backed Sunbird , all birds I was to see throughout the day. Birds which I only saw this once during the trip comprised Asian Emerald Dove, Common Flameback, and Oriental Magpie Robin.

After breakfast we went on an interesting walk to the local temple, Pura Luhur Muncaksari. Pasing through various wooded mixed fruit plantations added Flame-fronted Barbet, Bar-winged Prinia and Crescent-chested Babbler, the latter only seen here, and overhead Black Eagle and Brown-backed Needletail to my Bali list.

Although I spent another couple of hours birding the lodge gardens before sunset, this did not add anything new.

Paul

Last edited:
Well as of 6.30am I am safely back in the UK, a long journey from Bali via HK, but worthwhile.

Day 12 - Batukaru Temple, Luhur Srijong Temple, Cupel Harbour, and Menjangan Resort
Tuesday 18 April 2017

As scheduled my guide for the next three days, Hery Kusumanegera, and his driver Wagini arrived at Sarinbuana Eco-lodge at 6am to pick us up. Lugging our baggage up the entrance steps and getting it loaded into the car delayed us 30 minutes after which we were on our way to Batukaru Temple (Pura Batu Karu). Unfortunately it isn't possible to drive a short cut around the mountain from Sarinbuana to Batukaru, one has to drive a decent way back down before taking another parallel road up.

However, our drive took as past many of the rice paddies so characteristic of Bali, and in the early morning these held good numbers of the simply magnificent Javan Kingfisher - we had great views of at least seven of these birds, some only a few meters from the car.

By 7.30am we were slowly driving up the entrance road to the temple, and had brief views of a stunning White-crowned Forktail (we were to get better and prolonged views of 3-4 more of these birds around the temple lake later).

Donning the necessary sarong and sash (there are no photos, thankfully), allowed us to enter the temple itself and at the highest clearing we were soon checking through the many birds here. Highlights included a fine male Black-naped Fruit Dove, several Javan Grey-throated White-eye, zippy Blood-breasted Flowerpeckers, good numbers of Flame-fronted Barbet and Grey-cheeked Green Pigeon, a pair of Black Eagles overhead, a Black-winged Flycatchershrike and my only Little Spiderhunter of the trip.

Returning to the main lake we added a (rare for Bali) Stork-billed Kingfisher, and nearby the first Fulvous-breasted Jungle Flycatcher for the trip. We then headed back down the entrance road on foot, picking up one or two Little Barbets, and flying over Yellow-throated Hanging Parrots - both only seen here.

We were then called back to the temple by Wagini, who had spotted another of the target species here - requiring the speedy re-application of sash and sarong. Before long my wife (who claims not to be a birder) was the first of us to spot the Javan Whistlingthrush that Wagini had called us back for.

Returning further back down the road we were frustrated by calling but unseen Javan Owlets and a Javan Banded Kingfisher, before conceding defeat and moving on.

Our next stop was for lunch at Warung Segara Adi, five minutes away from the coastal cliff edge Luhur Srijong Temple, to be visited after lunch. Before we had ordered we were distracted as Hery heard Streaked Weaver calling from nearby palms, where they were actively building nests in response to ripening rice nearby. Amongst the palms was at least one Asian Glossy Starling (not seen elsewhere on Bali), and in the adjacent rice paddies we added Zitting and Golden-headed Cisticola to the trip list. Lunch was good too!

At the nearby temple we soon added 6-8 beautiful Java Sparrows, a real surprise for me, but responding to the ripening rice nearby apparently. Little else was seen in our short stop here before we drove on for about an hour to Cupel harbour where we had poor views of our first Javan Plover, and distant views of a couple of Black-naped Terns and half a dozen nearer Greater Crested Terns, during a disappointing seawatch.

From here we drove on to our resort, stopping briefly nearby to watch Oriental Honey Buzzard and then White-bellied Sea Eagle soaring over the road. Finally we checked into our luxurious room at the Menjangan about 4.30pm, and went for a swim, during which I was briefly distracted by firsts for the trip in the form of Zebra Dove and Cinereous Tit. As my wife deserved a break from birding, the rest of the areas birds would have to wait another night at least.

Happy birding, Paul

Last edited:
Day 13 - Menjangan Resort, Bali Barat NP Forest, and coastal marshes (Part 1, to lunch)
Wednesday 19 April 2017

A 6.30am start with Hery almost felt like a lie in, and it was nice to not spend too much time in the car as we spent the next 3 1/2 hours birding within the extensive grounds of the Menjangan Resort. As we left our room in the 'Monsoon Lodge' I saw a couple of Small Minivets before we met with Hery and Wagini, and soon after this we picked up the first of several Green Junglefowl regularly seen around the resort thereafter.

As we drove a short distance to where we would start walking Wagini noticed a few birds perched up in a bare tree, two were Ashy Drongos, but the third was one of our key targets here a Black-winged Starling, this was seen well if briefly, before our attention was distracted by calling Bali Mynas. Unfortunately we didn't see the Bali Mynas, and the Black-winged Starling had flown by the time we returned. Although we saw two more of these birds later in the morning in flight, it was a shame we didn't have a longer look at this first perched bird.

Whilst trying to and eventually succeeding in getting decent views of very active Scarlet-headed Flowerpeckers we added Chestnut-headed Bee-eater, Black-naped Monarch, White-shouldered Triller, Coppersmith Barbet, Grey-rumped Treeswift and what turned out to be the only Pink-necked Green Pigeon of the trip (I mentioned birding in Bali is odd) to our trip list. We eventually finished up near the variously named Mangrove/Beach/Pantai restaurant where Hery managed to conjure up sightings of two Mangrove Whistlers before we broke for breakfast at the restaurant.

By now my wife knows I never really stop birding, and fortunately the bird that distracted me during breakfast, our first Small Blue Kingfisher was stunning enough to interest my wife, and close enough for her to enjoy too. I had thoroughly enjoyed my first taste of birding in Bali Barat (and breakfast), but was beginning to appreciate that I was lucky to have seen Black-winged Starling, and the horrible realisation was beginning to dawn that it might actually be possible to come here and not see the legendary Bali Myna...

There are less than 100 of the Balinese sub-species of the starling left, and numbers of the (effectively re-introduced) Bali Myna have grown, but only to 86 as of December 2016. Before you come to Bali Barat and the Menjangan resort it is hard to realise how large these areas are, and how thinly spread these desperately rare birds are too. One thing I hadn't considered in coming at the very start of the dry season is that as the dry season runs on many of the trees lose their leaves - and it becomes easier to see the parks birds (so I am told).

Anyway, more attempts to see the Bali Myna would be made, but in a break from their preferred dry coastal forest habitat, and leaving my wife behind to avoid the likely mosquitos, we moved on to a nearby area of rainforest - outside of the Menjangan grounds, but still within the Bali Barat National Park. En-route we added our only Crested Serpent Eagle of the trip (though I did hear them elsewhere).

The main reason for visiting a particular patch of rainforest was to visit a blind set up by a contact of Hery who has habituated a pair of Javan Banded Pittas to come to meal-worms on a strategically placed log. We all have our own views on how ethical / tick-able this approach is, I personally am happy with it, I count the birds that come to my garden feeders, and if it reduces disturbance to breeding birds elsewhere, all the better. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself.

The blind was a short walk through an expanse of marshy grassland and into adjacent damp rainforest, and set up as a 2m high 'fence' of vertically stacked reeds, with a few slightly too small holes in it. Pretty soon after baiting the log with meal worms the male then female Javan Banded Pittas arrived, stunning birds really. Seeing them this way does feel like a bit of a cheat when you have previously spent many mostly fruitless hours slogging through leach infested rainforests to earn the right to glimpse a pitta (or indeed any bird), but it is nice when birding sometimes isn't so hard. The meal-worms also attracted a Fulvous-breasted Jungle Flycatcher, and only Horsfield's Babbler of the trip.

Once the pittas moved off so did we, returning to the marshy grassland and checking through the birds there, taking the chance to check through the many swifts and swallows hawking the area to add House Swift, White-nest Swiftlet, and Pacific Swallow to the list - birds that were probably present elsewhere more often than I noticed. Also enjoying this habitat were the first Javan Mynas of the trip, a pair of Javan Cuckooshrikes provided brief views, and a pair of Changeable Hawk Eagles showed well perched and soaring over the clearing.

From the rainforest and clearing we moved on to a nearby area of tidal marsh, mangroves and pools. This soon revealed the hoped for Sunda Teal and trip firsts in the form of Malaysian Pied-Fantail, Purple Heron, and Wood Sandpipers. More exciting to me at least were two initially distant female Great Frigatebirds picked out by Hery over the sea as we were about to leave. Thankfully these eventually soared much closer and we could see their characteristic features well.

By now it was time to return to collect my wife and then go for lunch, the local speciality Chicken Betutu, in a roadside restaurant in Gilimanuk. If you get to try this, and if you like spicy food I recommend it, don't feel like you have to add the extra spicy sambal it comes with. After 'enjoying' this I noticed that neither Hery nor Wagini had added any of it to their plates...

Day 13 - Gilimanuk area, Menjangan Resort and Banyu Wedang (part 2, after lunch)

After lunch in Gilimanuk we moved to a nearby area of short grazed coastal grassland, adjacent to some degraded mangroves called Karang Sewu (on ebird anyway). Here we quite quickly picked up the targets for the site; roosting Savannah Nightjar, Island Collared Doves, and Sooty-headed Bulbul. We also found our first Sacred Kingfishers for the trip, only recently arrived as migrants from Australasia. We failed to find Orange-breasted Green Pigeons here, or at subsequent sites.

Next stop was a temple, Pura Tirtha Segara Rupek, which affords a reasonable view out over the narrowing channel between Java and Bali. I was rather surprised to find myself starting my second sea-watch in two days in Bali, not quite what I had expected before I came. Now don't get me wrong, I spent some of my formative years staring out into the North Sea from Hartlepool Headland, and enjoy a good sea-watch. Not so much fun for my wife however, so I had to be mindful of how long we spent here.

Thankfully for me this is evidently a reasonable spot to sea-watch from as even in strong mid afternoon sunlight reasonable numbers of seabirds were present offshore, actively feeding as shoals of fish appeared near the sea surface. Highlights included two Bridled Tern, good numbers of Streaked Shearwaters, five Brown Booby, and more mundanely an Arctic Skua; just like Hartlepool... And a suite of birds I had not expected to feature on my Bali bird list!

After 40 minutes we moved on to a nearby independence memorial where we failed to see Orange-breasted Green Pigeon, but was the only other place I saw Sooty-headed Bulbul. From here we returned to the Menjangan Resort, where we searched another area for the obvious target I had missed so far. Thankfully our patience eventually paid off and we enjoyed great views of an un-ringed pair of Bali Myna, apparently the progeny of released birds. Even my wife was able to enjoy seeing these just stunning birds as they called, preened and danced on a branch.

Immensely relieved we then drove to the salt pans, fishponds, coastal pools and beach-front at Banyu Wedang. As we drove through the saltpans there were few birds, but these did include nice views of breeding Javan Plover and Little Tern, and initial sightings of Pied Stilt and Grey-tailed Tattler. The first coastal pool held good numbers of common waders, and nearby we saw our first White-headed Munia. Along the beach we couldn't find Great Thick-knee, but there was a nice pair of Malaysian Plovers, and we saw more Sunda Teal in a pool with Little, Intermediate and Great Egrets.

One final area of salt pans produced more waders, including many bright Red-necked Stints, but no Thick-knee. However in compensation I had nice views of a super Barred Buttonquail as it scurried along the track ahead of us. From here we returned to the resort and called it a day.

Happy birding, Paul

Reports of birding on Bali are hard to come by - seems like you did pretty well. Totally agree that Javan Kingfsher is a stunning bird!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back