• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong Birding Guide, Matthew Kwan (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I've mostly only lurked on Birdforum for the bino and scope reviews, so I hope it's OK to post here an unsolicited plug for a guide who my wife and I spent a morning with during our recent trip to Hong Kong. We're novice birders and while we'd been to Hong Kong before, had never left the paved sidewalks or so much as brought binoculars. I thought to visit some natural areas on our own this time, but being programmed to drive on the right I hesitated to rent a car.

I found Matthew Kwan online via some quick Googling. His email responses were prompt and clear and gave me a good sense, so I booked a trip with him for just after New Year's. He suggested good spots and times for the season, picked us up on time at our hotel and took us to three prime birding spots in the hinterlands north of Kowloon. He's knowledgeable, friendly, speaks perfect English (schooled in the UK if I recall correctly), and was flexible and patient with our novice status throughout the booking and touring experience. This was the first time I've hired a naturalist guide so I have no one for comparison, but I found the whole experience very enjoyable and satisfying. I added 40 species to my growing life-list over a six hour excursion. Matthew said he's also done targeted sessions with experienced birders hoping to find specific, elusive species.

If this is the wrong place to post this recommendation, kindly direct me to a better place. It's unsolicited and uncompensated. Matthew and his wife also work toward wildlife conservation and I'd just like to endorse and support their program, as well as give other travelers the opportunity for an experience like we enjoyed. I think Matthew's wife is an entomologist associated with one of the HK universities and also offers bug-centric tours.....if you're into that!

Matthew's blog: https://matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Matt Tarlach
Walnut Creek, California

Last edited:
Matt Kwan is a top-quality birder and photographer - his blog is well worth study by anyone interested birding in Hong Kong or nearby asian destinations...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back