• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honouring a former bird watcher (1 Viewer)

Firby63

In 2009 my eldest brother lost his battle with cancer. In his will he left me his scope ,a Carl Addis’s 85T-Fl c/w tripod and weather cover. The scope has remained unused apart from when I lived in Cornwall I could see Roughtor from my back garden. I’m wondering if there is anyone on here that has been trying to get hold of a second hand scope and would make me a reasonable offer for my brother’s.

Attachments

• DC3C8EE2-92DC-48CF-8234-561FD107100D.jpeg
    DC3C8EE2-92DC-48CF-8234-561FD107100D.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Never heard of that make, could it be a Carl Zeiss 85 FL? Photographs of the equipment might help your mission.

Hi Firby

Your scope is a Carl Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL and should look like the one in the pic below.

Note the two knobs on top of the body. One is for fast focusing and one is for slow precise focusing. A later version of this scope had both of these functions combined into one knob. For people to consider whether they are interested to buy your scope you should post a photo so they can see which version it is and get an impression of the condition. Take a look at the eyepiece lens and the big lens at the front (its called the objective lens) and check for scratches. If you can't see any then do say so in a post.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your brother and good luck with the sale of your scope.

Lee

Attachments

• Zeiss_1527_140_Diascope_85_T_FL_597835.jpg
    Zeiss_1527_140_Diascope_85_T_FL_597835.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 109
Hi Firby and welcome to the forum. Condolences on the loss of your brother.

Perhaps worth considering moving to the For Sale / Wanted sub forum ? Hopefully a full set of photos and technical details on tripod and eyepiece will help generate some interest.

This thread cannot be moved to the For Sale sub-forum because he has no price listed. Once he lists a price which he appears to be trying to get in this thread which I have moved to the Zeiss Scope section we can then move it to the For sale sub-forum.

C7F88D0C-92FA-4E0F-9859-7B20566A7C22.jpegDefinitely as in your picture the condition is as new with no scratches on large lens.View attachment 701038 Looking for £1200 ono

Attachments

• E8023815-BE89-43CA-956A-210283ABA1BE.jpeg
    E8023815-BE89-43CA-956A-210283ABA1BE.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 998244DB-08AB-45C1-8887-415430A7C9F7.jpg
    998244DB-08AB-45C1-8887-415430A7C9F7.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 163
  • D7E7248C-81EF-41A9-854F-0ADA434A2A8C.jpeg
    D7E7248C-81EF-41A9-854F-0ADA434A2A8C.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 8007968D-B806-42B2-BEAF-469602458D64.jpeg
    8007968D-B806-42B2-BEAF-469602458D64.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Sorry Firby. You are gonna have to wait til you get some more posts under your wings and I have listed the new member restrictions below. It's just for a short while though ;)

New Member Restrictions

In an attempt to prevent certain abuses of our site, new members have a handful of minor restrictions placed upon them until they have made 10 forum posts (gallery comments do not count) AND have been a member of the site for 5 days. The following minor restrictions apply to new members who have not qualified with the above criteria:

Creating a Signature
Uploading an Avatar
Creating a Blog
Editing the Opus
Creating a 'For Sale' thread
Voting in polls.

I’m sorry all I’m trying to do is pass on a very good piece of equipment to someone who shares the same passion as my brother. I’m 70 and do not have the skills to do all you ask to be accepted. If what I have done so far is not enough then that’s a shame.

I’m 70 and do not have the skills to do all you ask to be accepted. If what I have done so far is not enough then that’s a shame.

Its easy enough Firby, you already have 4 posts - all you have to do its make a few more comments on this subject or any others you see - or just make a request for information about something else - birds or other wildlife or equipment, places to go for example. The 10 post rule is just to stop people joining up or a day just to sell something and then have no more interaction, its not Birdforum being difficult.

I keep a bird table in my back garden and have the usual visitors ie sparrow starling bluetit and great tit. Occasionally I get a small flock of long tailed tit as well as gold finch. When we lived in Cornwall we were lucky enough to have a buzzard in our back garden eating dinner scraps.

My son was stationed here until 2008. He now works for Quinetiq sorting weaponry and other issues with the Typhoon. My son in law was also stationed here as a fairy I believe they are called he now works in Saudi Arabia for BAE.

I keep a bird table in my back garden and have the usual visitors ie sparrow starling bluetit and great tit. Occasionally I get a small flock of long tailed tit as well as gold finch. When we lived in Cornwall we were lucky enough to have a buzzard in our back garden eating dinner scraps.

hi Firby, what do you feed your birds?

I’m sorry all I’m trying to do is pass on a very good piece of equipment to someone who shares the same passion as my brother. I’m 70 and do not have the skills to do all you ask to be accepted. If what I have done so far is not enough then that’s a shame.

Hi Firby, as you can see, members are helping to get you over the 10 posts limit. o:) But while that is going, I think you'd need to get some input about what would be a reasonable price to start out with. I can't help as I have no experience with the Zeiss scopes. Or else, once in that other thread, you might ask for offers? Not sure whether that would be a way to go as I have never used that part of BF. I'm 77, by the way, but having the benefit of having gained some experience in the meantime. But just ask members here whenever you need advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back