• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded crow or hybrid? Scotland (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
Photo's taken April 2021 Aberdeenshire coast, Scotland.

Would you be satisfied to class this as pure Hooded or hybrid carrion/hooded based on what you can see here? Hooded crows are not very common here, and when you think you have one they're almost always hybrids when you look close enough, although this one looks pretty close for Hooded, I think?

Attachments

• DSC_0582 (2).jpg
    DSC_0582 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0584.jpg
    DSC_0584.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0586 (2).jpg
    DSC_0586 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0587.jpg
    DSC_0587.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0588.jpg
    DSC_0588.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0591.jpg
    DSC_0591.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 64
I do not see anything here that I have not seen in areas dominated by Hooded. If anyone disagrees, I am curious to see what it is they feel indicates hybrid origin.
Niels

Black or darker than belly undertail coverts indicate some hybrid ancestry, as far as I know. I think in your bird it is not only a trick of the light but UTCs are really darker. See for comparison a hooded crow from norway

Attachments

• hooded crow Oslo 16-6-2022.jpg
    hooded crow Oslo 16-6-2022.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back