• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe in Northern Ireland (1 Viewer)

AliCat

United Kingdom
While about 100 hoopoes are recorded in the UK, every year, very few get blown off course as far north and west as Northern Ireland, so when one was spotted in Comber, only a 40 minutes drive from our house, I had to go to try to see it. At first he was way down the bottom of a farm lane and barely visible, but he then flew into the neighbouring cemetery where I and four other lucky enthusiasts were treated to a fabulous display of his crest as he hunted for grubs in the soil.

*we used to see hoopoes when we lived in France, but in the 13 years there I never once got a photo of one. When we returned to NI and I bought my camera my one regret was that I'd never get a photo of a hoopoe. Never say never, I guess!

Attachments

• Hoopoe 3.jpg
    Hoopoe 3.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Hoopoe 4.jpg
    Hoopoe 4.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Hoopoe 2.jpg
    Hoopoe 2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Hoopoe 1.jpg
    Hoopoe 1.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Hoopoe 9.jpg
    Hoopoe 9.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Hoopoe 8.jpg
    Hoopoe 8.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Hoopoe 6.jpg
    Hoopoe 6.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05560.JPG
    DSC05560.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 64
I live in Bangor and just missed seeing him when I got down to Comber he was gone.
Ooh, how disappointing! We live just outside Portaferry & I know I was lucky to have been there when he wandered about openly in the cemetery. Pure luck & a spur of the moment decision to go & see if I could spot him.

While about 100 hoopoes are recorded in the UK, every year, very few get blown off course as far north and west as Northern Ireland, so when one was spotted in Comber, only a 40 minutes drive from our house, I had to go to try to see it. At first he was way down the bottom of a farm lane and barely visible, but he then flew into the neighbouring cemetery where I and four other lucky enthusiasts were treated to a fabulous display of his crest as he hunted for grubs in the soil.

*we used to see hoopoes when we lived in France, but in the 13 years there I never once got a photo of one. When we returned to NI and I bought my camera my one regret was that I'd never get a photo of a hoopoe. Never say never, I guess!
Magic photos. What optics were used for birdwatching?

Magic photos. What optics were used for birdwatching?
Thank you, Natan!

Sorry, but I don't have an optic. I was fortunate that when I arrived a man with one had spotted the Hoopoe, which then landed close to us, but I have no idea what it was. My photos were taken on just under 600mm zoom.

I used to see them too in France too as a kid, they could be found in the campsites (west coast)

We'll be visiting next month. I've always wanted to see/photograph a Hoopoe. Is there any way to receive an alert if one shows up in Ireland mid-May or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back