• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe overwintering in NE Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Pavel

Most unusually we have had a Hoopoe overwintering already three months near Durankulak lake in NE Bulgaria! It has survived snowstorms and temperatures as low as 16 below. Today I observed it regurgitate a largish pellet and captured a poor distant photo of it. Is this normal behaviour? It also got me thinking about its diet, obviously insects have been in very short supply recently. Any ideas what it might have been feeding on? It has been mainly on the beach or in the dunes that separate the lake from the Black Sea. Any thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• Pellet.jpg
    Pellet.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1_12_2020_OK.jpg
    1_12_2020_OK.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Hoopoe_10_12_2020.jpg
    Hoopoe_10_12_2020.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 10
Most unusually we have had a Hoopoe overwintering already three months near Durankulak lake in NE Bulgaria! It has survived snowstorms and temperatures as low as 16 below. Today I observed it regurgitate a largish pellet and captured a poor distant photo of it. Is this normal behaviour? It also got me thinking about its diet, obviously insects have been in very short supply recently. Any ideas what it might have been feeding on? It has been mainly on the beach or in the dunes that separate the lake from the Black Sea. Any thoughts welcome!
I thought I'd have a quick look in Birds of the Western Palearctic to see if I could help you with your enquiry and after wading through masses of text, I'm sorry to say I found nothing. However, a glance at the distribution map (which I don't have the capacity to reproduce here) reveals a surprising, thin reference to birds having wintered along the coasts of the former Yugoslavia at some point in the past. I also seem to recall at least one wintering in the Highlands of Scotland in recent years; or perhaps one returning in successive winters? Maybe another member has better recall of the latter details than I have.

Hoopoe irregularly overwinter in the UK (but not as cold as minus 16 usually!) Presumably it is finding invertebrates (beetles/larvae etc?) in the dunes and coughing up pellets as part of a normal bird thing (many species do it) for the hard chitinous bits which don't end up coming out the other end ...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back