• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe (1 Viewer)

Carpathian Ed

All morning I've been hearing, on and off, a hoopoe calling from the trees at the end of my garden. But because they have such a deep call I figured it must have been calling from further away. I managed to record a few seconds of its call. And then I saw it!. I thought I'd have to start driving around and outside the village to try and find it - they move around a lot. I am feeling deeply chuffed right now.
I really, really hate my camera. It has the single worst autofocus I've ever encountered.

Attachments

• hoopoe.mp3
    264.8 KB · Views: 24
  • hoopoe1.jpg
    hoopoe1.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 45
  • hoopoe2.jpg
    hoopoe2.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 35
At least you got record shots, Ed, and the excitement of actually seeing it. Well done!

Hoopoe, and bee eater

I took this photo today, it is poor quality but I thought that seeing a bee eater and a hoopoe on the same branch must be rare!

Attachments

• DSC_7845.jpg
    DSC_7845.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 36
Cor!!! Certainly can't be an everyday sighting Gerald!!

Thanks for sharing your day with us lad..... and you too Ed. Autofocus can be a right pain at times, can't it. Sometimes it's because the background doesn't give enough 'contrast'... other times I'm at a loss LOL

I took this photo today, it is poor quality but I thought that seeing a bee eater and a hoopoe on the same branch must be rare!

Gerald, you win with that one! That's a one in a million shot. Plus they're in focus...
Last time I saw bee eaters was in Israel almost 30 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. Ed, what camera have you got?

I might as well be using a potato... it's a Canon SX 412is. Only after buying it did i read all the comments online about how the autofocus is almost unusable.
For my style of wildlife photography (basically quickly recording what I see whilst walking around rather than being stationary), I prefer superzooms. Also, the terrain I'm in makes carrying lots of kit or expensive equipment a bit infeasible. Plus I don't have the cash for a full zoom DSLR setup and to do similar with my micro 4/3rds Olympus would be staggeringly expensive

I have no knowledge of that I camera so I can't help, sorry. I am lucky that there some bee eaters nesting about 4 Km from my house!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back