• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoping for some bird-feeding advice! (1 Viewer)

LeeUK2020

Hey everyone! I put up my first bird feeder last week (two tubes of bird seed mix and a mesh plate of soaked dried mealworms every morning) and already have tons of robins, sparrows and great tits visiting, aswell as the magpies and wood pigeon (and ugh squirrels!!!!).

As a total beginner I don't want to be splurging too much on other foodstuffs like suet and fat balls just yet, as I want to get a feeling of what sort of birds there are first! I have however bought some nyjer/niger seeds and a special feeder (arriving in 2 weeks) to attract finches - do goldfinches usually feed in London in May or is my timing completely off since I've not seen them around before (and if so what do I do?!)? What other bird species are in London that like to feed from feeders that I have missed? I'm also waiting for blue tits but haven't seen any yet...

I would appreciate any other tips you may have, since I would to feed/see as many species as possible! Hoping to go to the London Wetlands soon once lockdown ends... :)

(I posted under another forum but realised here would probably be better (sorry admins...)) :(

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Lee and a warm welcome from me too.

..... do goldfinches usually feed in London in May or is my timing completely off since I've not seen them around before (and if so what do I do?!)? What other bird species are in London that like to feed from feeders that I have missed? I'm also waiting for blue tits but haven't seen any yet...

Trouble is London is a big place with lots of differing habitats, so it's hard to know what might be around where you actually live. And it's an awful long time since I lived in London (House Sparrows were very common there then!!) I suggest you just keep your eyes open as you walk around your area and note what species you see/hear. I guess Blue Tits, Robins, Blackbirds, Starlings and Jays seem to be in most places in London.

Most birds like meal worms, suet balls, Peanut butter and Blackbirds particularly like red grapes!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back