• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finch Nest on back patio (1 Viewer)

msilveria

United States
Hi everyone! I I'm slightly concerned about the house finches that have built a nest on my back patio. I will be having a get-together for the 4th of July next week.The nest is right above where everyone will be mostly congregating for the day. My hope is that one day won't scare them off and abandon the nest. Usually my husband and I don't hang out in that area too often. Based on my current situation, does it sound like the birds might abandon the nest just based on one day of high traffic? Or does it take more time?

It's hard to say. If there are eggs in the nest by the time your guests arrive they might abandon the nest. Possibly they could come back the next day. It's really hard to say. Anyway you could point out to your guests that if they could move down a bit that might help. Could you please give us an update afterwards?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Agree, with KC. It is hard to tell. I do hope they don’t abandon the nest.

Hi msilveria and a warm welcome from me too.

I'd try what KC suggests and appeal to your guests to not get too close to the nest. Have a lovely day with your friends.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits. It is likely that a lot of noise and disturbance will affect the nest.

I will report a success while I'm waiting on the status of the finches. We have another nest that currently houses baby robins that are about a week and a half old. I'm so excited they they are almost ready to leave the nest! My husband and I made sure to be extra careful around the nest so as not to disturb mama robin doing her thing. It's very cute to see mama robin and papa robin working together to take care of their young!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back