• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

house finches - bird house (1 Viewer)

vanursh

United States
I put up a bird house (hanging from a branch in a small tree) and for a few years now the little house finches have been nesting there. As far as I can tell they don't leave the area when its cold, so they nest there all year. Well, unfortunately the roof of the little bird house is just starting to come apart, I don't think anything will happen yet, but I don't want it to crash to the ground one day. Is there some way I can maybe move it to a stand or something, and put a better bird house in its place? I don't want to disturb them or handle it unnecessarily.

Thank you!

etudiant

Supporter
It's still early for them to be nesting, at least here in the NYC area, so I think you would be safe to just make the switch.
Birds, like people, focus on location and it sounds as if your current site checks their boxes. So feel free to redecorate their digs.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I'd keep a new Birdhouse in the same place as they feel safe with foliage available to them.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread