• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoverfly ID - Holme Dunes NR (Norfolk, UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

I have searched Ball & Morris (2) and Stephen Falk's Flikr account. I just cannot find this one.
Very pale lemon spots rather than bars, pale from eyes downwards, some dark hairs on the face but no serious markings.
Forelegs are dark at the top.
It is similar to Eupeodes luniger, a variable species but the dark Y on the face is not present. Pale version are known to migrate in summer but the dark Y........
Parasyrphus punctulatus - but the has dark legs.
Dasysyrphus venustus - part dark legs and marked face.
Scaeva pyrastri - very like my pictures but the "tail" is different and the abdomen is over wide in the middle.

I have tried! Anyone any ideas?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 11
Have you looked at Eupeodes corollae female (page 126 Ball & Morris) ? The yellow seems to reach the edge of the abdomen segments
Hi Paul
I looked at this and also in Stephen Falk's Flikr account where there are numerous pictures and my initial thoughts were that it 's abdomen was more bulbous. On re-examination they appear more similar.
When you say "Have you looked at Eupeodes corollae.......", I am guessing that you are telling me that it is this one?
Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees........................
Thanks again Paul

Hi Paul

When you say "Have you looked at Eupeodes corollae.......", I am guessing that you are telling me that it is this one?
I have made so many mistakes in hoverfly ID that I was trying to not say "It's a ...."! But it is one of the few species that I get in the garden from time to time. Quite a lot of variation in shape (and markings unfortunately!) within a species.

I have made so many mistakes in hoverfly ID that I was trying to not say "It's a ...."! But it is one of the few species that I get in the garden from time to time. Quite a lot of variation in shape (and markings unfortunately!) within a species.
I just wanted to clarify. I must admit that it is the only one that has a relatively clean face.
Thanks Again. Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back