• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hoverfly ID Please (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

After getting a new macro lens and always having an interest in Hoverflies and other insects. I thought I'd try to get to know them better.........
I now realise that Hoverflies are challenging, but armed with my new Ball/Morris here goes my first attempt.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/50048310012/in/dateposted-public/

Looks to me like Sphaerophoria interrupta?

I get that Ball/Morris say that definitive identification is not possible with closer examination but it looks identical to the picture that they have used in their book.

Rotherbirder

Congratulations, you have the correct genus (Sphaerophoria) - but that is as far as you will get. It is a female and female Sphaerophoria can't be done - full stop! Even males can't be done 100% without microscopic examination of genitalia but females remain a mystery for the moment.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread