• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can I find frogs in Cambridge? (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

I would like to photograph a lot of animals, and the only ones I have left are badgers, frogs, long-eared and little owls.
I already asked about the owls and let's just say didn't get the response I was hoping for.
The badgers are in a location I know but it is closed right now!
That leaves just frogs. I am not asking for pool frog locations, and I understand nobody would give me that anyway. I am asking for simple, common frogs, Rana temporaria.
Out of all the animals, this is the last one I expected to ask about.
Can anyone advise me how to find them? I have gotten up early and scoured Bramblefields, I visited Barnwell east and Byron's Pool, I scoured my garden, nothing!
The only time I saw frogs this year was one in March when one was jumping around near me as I waited for a bus and a dead skeleton of a frog on a road.
Has anyone seen frogs in cambridge this summer? are there any good sites?
Or, at least, how can I observe them, when, where?
Thank you very much!
Gleb

For frogs - and herpetofauna in general - I recommend inaturalist.org - make a free account, go to "explore", zoom on the area you want to see and type "Frogs" into the species field, select a category level you are interested in. Cambridge area has a plenty of observations.

In general, this is a harder time for frogs than spring, but at least here in Poland some are still to be found, so you should try in the UK as well.

For frogs - and herpetofauna in general - I recommend inaturalist.org - make a free account, go to "explore", zoom on the area you want to see and type "Frogs" into the species field, select a category level you are interested in. Cambridge area has a plenty of observations.

In general, this is a harder time for frogs than spring, but at least here in Poland some are still to be found, so you should try in the UK as well.

Wow, thank you!
Really?
I go to Russia too and there is an overdose of frogs there, but mostly in August. Maybe it was just too hot for them- we have sub-30 degrees temperatures in the summer at times. Or maybe I didn't look well enough :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back