• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

How did my golden retriever catch a goldfinch? (1 Viewer)

BuckyHunter13

United States
First off, I’m new here so hello! I’m glad to have somewhere to turn with questions google can’t answer.

Now to more pressing matters - As the title suggests, I’m wondering how my 11 year old golden retriever just caught an adult goldfinch. The bird is alive and seems to be functional. I thought it was a fledgling until I googled and realized the coloring is of an adult male. I was able to pick it up (I’m guessing it’s in a bit of shock) and it jumped from my hand and flapped into a nosedive into the grass where it otherwise wasn’t moving.

The dog(s) caught it in an overgrown landscaping bed that’s full of a flowering weed full of bees. Could it have been feeding on the bees? I was in the adjacent vegetable garden keeping both my 2.5yo and the vegetables alive. I intervened when I heard sqwuaking.

I moved it to some shorter grass under a bush. When I first went to check on it (after taking the dogs and child inside), another goldfinch was perched nearby as if checking on it. That reinforced my fledgling thoughts until Googling. I plan to give it time and space to hopefully rebound. If not, the circle of life remains undefeated. 😕

I guess I’m just wondering if it could’ve been sick or if there are other conditions that could’ve led to this strange occurrence. Sorry for the excessive detail and thanks for entertaining my curiosity.
6F53743F-9660-416C-8FFA-B5CDEC2C85AF.jpeg

Tired

United States
Maybe the dog caught it out of reflex, or maybe the goldfinch hit a window and got stunned.

Please take it to a wildlife rescue. Predatory mammals have filthy mouths that are prone to causing infection, which leads to a slow, painful death. It may also have internal injuries. And this wasn't a natural occurrence, this was a nonnative animal attacking a native animal. This is an appropriate place to intervene, like if it had hit your window, rather than a natural predator/prey interaction that should be left alone.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
It needs to be checked out for any tooth invasion for bacteria so as Tired suggested get it to a wildlife rescue as soon as possible.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Please keep us updated on the Goldfinch. It will be much appreciated ;)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread