• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you feel about your NL 8x42 a year or two down the line? (1 Viewer)

Received a replacement SFL pair this morning, these have a much easier focus turn. After a quick comparison the 42NLs there's not much new to report. The NLs have a somewhat more comfortable and immersive view. I believe some would say they have a bigger "eye box." Not as widely noted is that they have a touch higher than spec'd magnification, reportedly measured at 8.2x. It is noticeable if you look for it. The NLs are known for their flat field, IMO the SFL view is flat enough and sometimes I appreciate a bit of 3D effect. Note that I use eye glasses and on both pairs of bins use 3/32" thick o-rings on the eyecups to help prevent blackouts.

As mentioned elsewhere, the SFLs have certain attributes that are generally considered to be in their advantage, such as price, weight, size, faster focus, greater contrast, lack of the cursed FP system and non-tearing objective covers. In my non-expert examination the SFLs resolution is virtually equal to the NLs, with both being the best I have owned.
It's interesting to hear some dismiss the SFL's but here you are 'virtually' equating them to NL's which I take to mean they are in your estimation, alpha glass.
I have no experience with NL's but I do with UVHD+ and NV, and I think the SFL's are easily in (nearly) same league, tho a little different - each with pros/cons.

It's interesting to hear some dismiss the SFL's but here you are 'virtually' equating them to NL's which I take to mean they are in your estimation, alpha glass.
I have no experience with NL's but I do with UVHD+ and NV, and I think the SFL's are easily in (nearly) same league, tho a little different - each with pros/cons.
I think of the SFLs as being "alpha minus." Smaller FOV & non locking diopter being the biggest deficits, otherwise they can definitely hang with the alphas.

The 8 NL is awesome! If you can master the 12x NL just WOW!! My opinion of course.
Agree completely, the 12x really is something special. I use it mainly for astronomy, never seen anything quite like it.
The whole experience, the immersive nature of the view to the very finest detail seen is quite something.
It certainly has made me draw a breath on quite a few occasions.

I think of the SFLs as being "alpha minus." Smaller FOV & non locking diopter being the biggest deficits, otherwise they can definitely hang with the alphas.
8x40SFL 420'@1000yd
8x42UVHD+ 389'
8x42 SF 444'
8x42NL 477'

There is no question that NL's are in a different league in terms of FOV and flat-field. But if 420' is a 'deficit, then UV's are B-grade (@Paultricounty might have a diff opinion, lol) and the SF is not ahead by (significantly) much!

I totally respect other's subjective preferences regarding binos, but I do find it puzzling how we all make our judgements so... well, so 'subjectively'... LOL. I'll admit in my case I just can't get on the Swaro bandwagon. Totally irrational since they obviously set that bar by which others are measured :p

Agree completely, the 12x really is something special. I use it mainly for astronomy, never seen anything quite like it.
The whole experience, the immersive nature of the view to the very finest detail seen is quite something.
It certainly has made me draw a breath on quite a few occasions.
I keep seeing stellar (pun intended) 12x reviews. Would the 12x be awful for birding? I have to admit, having always been an 8x kinda-guy, I've really been rethinking the 10x's lately.

I guess I do about 70% of my birding with an NL 12x42. I find that they offer no significant problems whatsoever for that application. I appreciate the extra power of the 12x, even when using close focus, which, admittedly, is probably quite an uncommon choice for birders. I know that 7/8x is the preference for many.

That said, the NL is probably the most practical 12x currently on the market. I’ve still not got the headrest, but I’m just glad to know it’s available as an option. It has the AFOV of a much lower power, of course, and is fairly small for a full size bino, if a little heavier than the main competition. Although, with a 71 degree AFOV at 12x combined with a panoramic, totally sharp, and almost ‘clinically’ pure, view, they don’t really have any competition, if that’s what you’re looking for. (For the other 30% of birding I use a scope).

I’ve not done a side-by-side with these two, but would folk agree that a Noctivid 8x42 outclasses a 8x42 UVHD+?

If you wear glasses the Noctivid is certainly better for me anyway. I compared the 7x42 HD plus with 8x42 Noctivid but only for a few minutes and noticed the Noctivid was warmer than the 7x42 and sharper to the edge but not all the way like a Swarovision. I like the colors in the 7x42 just wish it had a wider field of view. I would choose the Noctivid and I have one, but I wear glasses. They both are nice.

12NL is my main birding glass now. I will switch to the 8x42 Noctivid and it’s just not the same. The 12 beats it in every way. Pure colors that are unreal and so immersive. I just see everything better so why would I not want to use it.

If you wear glasses the Noctivid is certainly better for me anyway. I compared the 7x42 HD plus with 8x42 Noctivid but only for a few minutes and noticed the Noctivid was warmer than the 7x42 and sharper to the edge but not all the way like a Swarovision. I like the colors in the 7x42 just wish it had a wider field of view. I would choose the Noctivid and I have one, but I wear glasses. They both are nice.
Hello Robert,

I see it similarly, the only thing you can complain about on the UV 7x42 is the somewhat reduced AFOV.

Of course it's a bit of apples and oranges to compare an 8x42 with a 7x42, the image impression is a bit different, but I would put the UV on the same level as the Noctivid optically, I find the image in the UV a bit more relaxing, not just because of the something lower magnification.

Andreas

I have the NL 8x32 and the NL 10x42, and I have looked through hundreds of binoculars. They are both the best binoculars I have ever looked through. I tried the NL 12x42 and the NL 10x42 and I preferred the NL 10x42 for the much bigger FOV, the bigger exit pupil of 4.2 mm versus the 3.5 mm of the 12x42 which makes them brighter, less finicky and makes eye placement much easier. The 10x is also easier to hold steady than the 12x, and even when using the 8x and 10x, the headrest is a game changer in steadying the binocular. I would not be without a headrest anymore.

Last edited:
I think the question of 8X or 12X is sort of determined on what one is viewing and where the viewing is taking place.
Out in the open west in the US or say Cumbria UK of course 12X will be the choice at the minimum 10X.
Cumbria looks like a great place for open viewing.
Many other nature observers I know always have 7/8X and (10 or12X) at hand.

I think the question of 8X or 12X is sort of determined on what one is viewing and where the viewing is taking place.
Out in the open west in the US or say Cumbria UK of course 12X will be the choice at the minimum 10X.
Cumbria looks like a great place for open viewing.
Many other nature observers I know always have 7/8X and (10 or12X) at hand.
If I could only have one binocular, it would be an 8x32 or 8x42. The NL 12x42 will be better on some objects in the night sky like planetary and lunar, but the 10x42 will be better for wider star fields like the Pleiades. A 12x binocular really shows a nice view of the moon. The Canon 12x36 IS III I had was excellent on lunar observations. But I have a 6 inch Dobsonian for Astro use and a Vaonis Vespera robot telescope for imaging the fainter constellations and Messier objects. You leave it out on the patio, and it takes hundreds of exposures of an object over a long period of time, say two hours, and it stacks the images and then sends them to your phone, and you can process them further on your computer.

Last edited:
No, I don't think the SFL is in the same league as the NL. The NL is alpha glass and the SFL is at about at the level of the SLC. When I compared my NL 8x32 to my SFL 8x40, I sold my SFL the next day. The NL just killed it with a much bigger FOV that is sharp to the edge and better contrast. There is no comparison.

I keep seeing stellar (pun intended) 12x reviews. Would the 12x be awful for birding? I have to admit, having always been an 8x kinda-guy, I've really been rethinking the 10x's lately.

It certainly has made me draw a breath on quite a few occaIsions.

No I don't think so, you may need to adjust a little but that extra mag and its afov gave me more wow than the 8x. Maybe the 10x would be the sweet spot for you?
I did own the 8x first and enjoyed the wide fov, at the time I never felt that I was needing more mag during the day, the resolution and image quality is so high i could enjoy following birds for quite some distance.
However when i purchased the 12x i knew something special was going on with its afov, that extra mag and the afov is magical. The only downside for me is it can be a bit shakey, although it's probably one of the better 12x available. During the day I use the cap method or I will get the headrest, at night I mount them on a magic arm, then they are sublime, nothing I have looked through can touch these.
Having had both then my personal choice is the 12x due to using it mainly for astronomy and I can still happily use it during the day albeit with a bit more shake, im willing to take that for its view it offers.
If I wanted an 8x again then I'd look at a Noctivid or the NL 8x32.
I had to spend a lot of money to find the binocular I had been searching for, the NL 12x is a keeper for me.

No I don't think so, you may need to adjust a little but that extra mag and its afov gave me more wow than the 8x. Maybe the 10x would be the sweet spot for you?
I did own the 8x first and enjoyed the wide fov, at the time I never felt that I was needing more mag during the day, the resolution and image quality is so high i could enjoy following birds for quite some distance.
However when i purchased the 12x i knew something special was going on with its afov, that extra mag and the afov is magical. The only downside for me is it can be a bit shakey, although it's probably one of the better 12x available. During the day I use the cap method or I will get the headrest, at night I mount them on a magic arm, then they are sublime, nothing I have looked through can touch these.
Having had both then my personal choice is the 12x due to using it mainly for astronomy and I can still happily use it during the day albeit with a bit more shake, im willing to take that for its view it offers.
If I wanted an 8x again then I'd look at a Noctivid or the NL 8x32.
I had to spend a lot of money to find the binocular I had been searching for, the NL 12x is a keeper for me.
Yes, the NL 12x42 would be great for astronomy, especially on a tripod. I didn't try the 12x with the headrest, but I am sure it would really help. You might use the NL 12x42 for birding more with the head rest. It is a game changer. I use it on my NL 8x32 and NL 10x42. The Noctivid 8x42 is fantastic with superb on-axis resolution and beautiful color saturation, easily the best Leica I have ever looked through, almost being kind of magical, but I preferred the NL for its huge FOV that is sharp to the edge. I LIKE a big FOV! I understand about the huge AFOV on the NL 12x42. The AFOV on the NL 10x42 is only a couple degrees less, but that big AFOV just immerses you in the view. It feels like you are in the FOV looking at the bird. Probably the biggest advantage for me with the NL 10x42 versus the NL 12x42 is the better DOF. You not only have a WIDER FOV with the NL 10x42, but because of the better DOF you can see further into the FOV beyond your focus point. I find I can sometimes spot a bird BEHIND or in FRONT of the bird I am looking at because of the DOF. That is a real plus with an 8x also.

If one lives in Bortle 3 or less skies, the 3.5 EP of the NL 12X42 would be nice to use, however the 12X50 SV on the night sky is awsome in it self.
I think the 12x50 SV would no doubt be better on the Night Sky than the NL 12x42 because of the big aperture advantage. The 12x50 SV is going to go a lot deeper into the night sky, probably almost a magnitude more, and show you a lot more stars and better nebulousity on faint fuzzies. I bet the NL 12x42 is superb for planetary and lunar though where aperture isn't as important. I know my NL 10x42 is. I can't believe how good it star tests. It is almost like an APO telescope. I don't know how Swarovski gets almost all the CA out in such a short focal length optic.
I am out right now with the Noctivid 8x42 and I love it also for different reasons.
The Noctivid is magical. It is easily the best Leica. The FOV just sparkles and glistens with all that saturated color. It is a beautiful binocular to look at and through!

Seems like 12x comes down to your hands' steadiness. I don't have it. I know from some limited experience shoooting pistols at the firing range that my hands aren't steady. My sister seems to have inherited that, she easily outclassed me, with no experience, in hitting the bullseye on the targets.

The change from 7x to 10x is huge for me, I like the details at 10x, but it's obviously shaking much worse. Seems like some days are worse than others too, must be my biology....physiology

Users who are viewing this thread

Back