• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you feel about your NL 8x42 a year or two down the line? (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

I've not got NL in any format but tried an NL 8x42 out at various distances a year or so ago and was impressed by the colours and almost everything, within the limitations of a shop viewing. The shop does have a magnificent view from near to far distance over colourful gardens and over a mixed rural and village landscape up a hillside. As a check I also asked to look through a secondhand EL 8.5x42 SV straight afterwards as I didn't have my own Field Pro version with me and to be honest the same views through that were to all intents and purposes equally good. Of course when trying out in a shop things are a bit rushed; you can't try out in different conditions and so on but apart from the handling and weight I didn't think the differences in the newer binocular swayed me sufficiently, even if leaving aside the question of price.

Now that the NL is no longer a new release sensation and is presumably in use with many experienced birders who also have possibly had experience with the EL near equivalents and possibly also with SLC (still talking 8x and 8.5x for the purposes of this discussion and as I struggle a bit with higher magnification formats despite the easy handling of NL bins), how do you feel about the NL? I'd be interested to hear, both regarding glare and also a comparison on days when glare isn't an issue, such as dull rainy conditions. I.e. any other points of comparison.

Tom

At the moment they are my favorite. I've used the NL 8X32 and SFL 8x40 more for a while because they are lighter. But at the moment, the incredible viewing comfort of the NL Pure 8x42 is reason enough to cope with the extra weight and size.
I'm amazed each time I use them by the transparency, the wide field, etc.

At the moment they are my favorite. I've used the NL 8X32 and SFL 8x40 more for a while because they are lighter. But at the moment, the incredible viewing comfort of the NL Pure 8x42 is reason enough to cope with the extra weight and size.
I'm amazed each time I use them by the transparency, the wide field, etc.
Thanks, pm42. A couple of questions for you, well three now actually... what differences do you notice in view or handling between your 'incredible viewing comfort' NL Pure 8x42 and the 8x32? And also between those two and the 8x40? And most of all did you or still do use an EL 8.5 SV or Field Pro and have thoughts about NL vs EL SV? Hope you don't mind this questionnaire!

Thanks, pm42. A couple of questions for you, well three now actually... what differences do you notice in view or handling between your 'incredible viewing comfort' NL Pure 8x42 and the 8x32? And also between those two and the 8x40? And most of all did you or still do use an EL 8.5 SV or Field Pro and have thoughts about NL vs EL SV? Hope you don't mind this questionnaire!
I never used the EL 8.5 nor a Field Pro so I have no opinion.

All three binoculars I use, the NL Pure 8x32, NL Pure 8x42 and SFL 8x40 are excellent and I would be happy to have just one and keep it. I also have the Zeiss 8x32 SF which is in the same league but for some reason, I never clicked with it but I have nothing serious against them.

I'm using the headrest with the 8x42 and combined with the very wide field and big exit pupil, they fall into place in front of my eyes or more precisely glasses perfectly each time. Hence the comfort.
The NL 8x32 are as good optically and were my main binoculars for a while but for some reason, I've never managed to make the headrest work for them.

The SFL 8x40 are my wife favorite and probably the one I would keep if I had to thin the herd. The image is great, more contrast, they are light, comfortable to use, etc.
But I like NL 8x42 wider field and prefer the ergonomics so when I do not mind the weight and size, they are the one I pick up.

As stated before, this is only a matter of personal preferences and mine change from time to time and I'm lucky enough to have too many alpha binoculars.

When in the field, I tend to forget which one I have and I simply enjoy the view.

And most of all did you or still do use an EL 8.5 SV or Field Pro and have thoughts about NL vs EL SV? Hope you don't mind this questionnaire!
Hi Tom,

I think the optical performance of the NL is an EL Mark II.
The NL is a bit better, more natural colors, a bit brighter but the differences are more gradual imo, of course the FOV in the NL is much larger.
The EL seems more robust, I actually find it haptically better, these many "bumps" in the NL don't suit me, I just can't grasp it intuitively, I find the SF with its conventional tubes much more pleasant.

But what really bothers me about the NL are the eyecups, which are almost level with the edges of the eye lens in the lowest position.
With far-sighted glasses you inevitably come across the metal frame, which for me is a bad design.

Andreas

I never used the EL 8.5 nor a Field Pro so I have no opinion.

All three binoculars I use, the NL Pure 8x32, NL Pure 8x42 and SFL 8x40 are excellent and I would be happy to have just one and keep it. I also have the Zeiss 8x32 SF which is in the same league but for some reason, I never clicked with it but I have nothing serious against them.

I'm using the headrest with the 8x42 and combined with the very wide field and big exit pupil, they fall into place in front of my eyes or more precisely glasses perfectly each time. Hence the comfort.
The NL 8x32 are as good optically and were my main binoculars for a while but for some reason, I've never managed to make the headrest work for them.

The SFL 8x40 are my wife favorite and probably the one I would keep if I had to thin the herd. The image is great, more contrast, they are light, comfortable to use, etc.
But I like NL 8x42 wider field and prefer the ergonomics so when I do not mind the weight and size, they are the one I pick up.

As stated before, this is only a matter of personal preferences and mine change from time to time and I'm lucky enough to have too many alpha binoculars.

When in the field, I tend to forget which one I have and I simply enjoy the view.
I appreciate your thinking here as it's very much the way I appraise my own glass. I had forgotten about the headrest. I did try an NL 8x32 straight after the 42 in the shop when they first came out and my immediate feeling was that I would have been happier with the 42; it just worked better for me in most respects. Currently though I am enjoying the 8.5 very much and also the 8 SLC (both 42s) and so that plus the extra cost makes the decision to stay away from the shop easy!

Hi Tom,

I think the optical performance of the NL is an EL Mark II.
The NL is a bit better, more natural colors, a bit brighter but the differences are more gradual imo, of course the FOV in the NL is much larger.
The EL seems more robust, I actually find it haptically better, these many "bumps" in the NL don't suit me, I just can't grasp it intuitively, I find the SF with its conventional tubes much more pleasant.

But what really bothers me about the NL are the eyecups, which are almost level with the edges of the eye lens in the lowest position.
With far-sighted glasses you inevitably come across the metal frame, which for me is a bad design.

Andreas
Hi Andreas,

Interesting findings! Though I liked the handling of the 8x42 when I tried them out and have come to terms with the FP bumps and straps that always seem to make an extra turn round the hub and cause annoyance I just didn't find the breathtaking view took much more breath than the EL Field Pro. And I quite like that extra .5 magnification of the EL. So your description that NL = EL Mk II sums it up nicely. I've often been tempted by SF incidentally since I first had a generous free loan of them a few years ago but they are just too large for me. I did have fun using them though and they had clearly better resolution than the older generation Leica I used as my first bigger than pocket binocular. I got great views of a large kite coasting above a field looking for prey.

Tom

Edit: I meant to say that I don't wear glasses for viewing but do tend to find Swaro eyecups a bit hard for comfort compared with the other top makes.

Tom,

In summary, I would say that the NL is slightly superior in terms of optical performance, the other issues go to the EL, perhaps the focuser of the NL is a little smoother.

I have the NL 8x42 but for the reasons mentioned above I would not buy another NL, if you have an EL and are satisfied with the 60° degree AFOV you do not need an update.

Andreas

I haven't had my NL's for years, barely a month, and they're 12x42's not 8x42's but they're amazing. I also have EL 8.5x42 SV FP and have also owned EL 10x42's and 12x50's.

After just a few weeks with the NL's, I wish I had gotten NL 8x42's instead of the EL 8.5x42's. I don't notice any difference in color, contrast, or resolution (my EL's are 2022 models with all the latest glass and coatings) difference between them, they are both phenomenal. What the NL gets you firstly is FOV which is spectacular, the 12's have the FOV of great 10's. The ergonomics also make you not one to hold the EL's, it makes them feel like they weren't made for human hands in comparison. I also really like the 6 position eye cups compared to the 3 of the EL, if there was an in between I would be able to get perfect eye relief but I make it work on setting 2. The focus lever is also a nice touch and makes it easier to focus but the EL's also aren't an issue for me because once set I don't need to touch it. If I let someone else use them and focus the diopter it's just easier with the lever.

So yes, I would buy the NL's all day over the EL's. The $1000 price difference is hard to swallow and I wish it was a only few hundred like the EL12x50 vs NL12x42, but it's still worth it. If I upgrade which I really want to I'll now be selling my EL's at a loss which is even a larger price difference than if I had just gotten the NL's to begin with.

I also have EL 8.5x42 SV FP and have also owned EL 10x42's and 12x50's.
Did you sell the EL 12x50 to be able to buy the NL 12x42? Is it an upgrade for you?

I have the SLC 8x42 and the NL 10x32.
I do not think I'll be better off with the NL 8x42 instead of the SLC. The transmission is 91% for both. For a bigger AFOV I get the NL 10x32. I actually think the eyecups of the SLC are more comfortable. And less glare in the SLC if I compare it with the NL 10x32. I do not know if the NL 8x42 behaves the same.
I also like that the SLC is compact and lightweight compared with an EL 42 or NL 42.

Last edited:
My view on the NL 8x42 after 6 months.
These were my first alpha binoculars and first Swarovski’s and soon after buying them I went on a Swarovski journey buying spree with a ATX scope (new) pair or curio (new) and a second hand pair of EL 8x32 FP.
Now I love the NL’s and the view from them it’s very immersive and has a great field of view but…
They are a little on the heavy side and I find holding the EL’s a more pleasurable experience! From what I know now if I was to only have one pair of binoculars £2300 on the NL or £1000 on the EL I am afraid I would probably choose the latter.
I have been wondering if I should have purchased the NL8x32 instead, but I have been reading that some people prefer the 42, when I get a chance I will try the 32 out along with the 12x42 if available but these would be tripod mounted if I ever do get them.

Did you sell the EL 12x50 to be able to buy the NL 12x42? Is it an upgrade for you?

I have the SLC 8x42 and the NL 10x32.
I do not think I'll be better of with the NL 8x42 instead of the SLC. The transmissies is 91% for both. For a bigger AFOV I get the NL 10x32. I actually think the eyecups of the SLC are more comfortable. And less glare in the SLC if I compare it with the NL 10x32. I do not know if the NL 8x42 behaves the same.
I also like that the SLC is compact and lightweight compared with an EL 42 or NL 42.

I sold the EL12’s along with my SLC15’s a few years ago when I got out of PRS competitions, I used them for spotting those. The NL’s are absolutely an upgrade from them though, FOV, smaller, more ergonomic, lighter. It’s also nice that the outdoorsman stud can be installed yourself instead of having to mail them in.

The NL8x42’s are only an ounce heavier than SLC’s and the FOV blows it away. I was never a huge fan of SLC’s and I’ve used them all and owned a couple pair. I liked the 15’s for spotting matches but that’s it. The 8x56 certainly have their place for low light hunting but it’s irrelevant to me.

The NL 32’s have smaller diameter eye cups than the NL 42’s so it’s going to feel difference.

If you already have one pair I can see hesitation to spend $3K to upgrade. If I hadn’t just bought the EL8.5’s I’d be buying NL8’s but I don’t want them bad enough to sell mine at a loss to upgrade.

The NL 32’s have smaller diameter eye cups than the NL 42’s so it’s going to feel difference.
Are you sure? I have NL eyecups sent as an experiment in the early days of Covid by SwaroNA. As the NLs were so new, (and employee access was limited do to the virus), Swaro couldn't answer this question, "Will NL eyecups screw into ELs? The ELs in question then were 42s. Ive posted here elsewhere the outcome of that. But in so doing I also ended up with rain guards for the NLs as those eyecups were indeed slightly larger in outer diameter than those for ELs. Thinking ahead they guessed if the adoption of NL eyecups worked on the EL then they would need the new slightly larger diameter rain guards to work. These same rain guards work perfectly on my NL 832s, which seems to suggest if there's any difference in eyecup diameter its very slight.

I have all 4 bins pm42 mentioned and my experience mirrors his almost to a "T". The viewing comfort of the 42NLs compared to the 32NLs is definitely enhanced by the greater EP and FOV of the 42s. The reduced weight of the 32s is nice, but IMO Swaro should of stuck with plain round barrels for the 32s. They seem a little too small even for my relatively small hands. Also the 32s have more of a glare issue than the 42s. I won't compare my SFLs right now, they are in the shop to get the focus wheel loosened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back