• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How good of an optic device is good enough ? (1 Viewer)

Bino Steve

United States
I'm curious about your thoughts on what constitutes a "good enough" view through an optic device (bino, scope) ? I'm pretty new to optics and most everything I have is 20 plus years and many 50 plus years old. Still great views, still have fun. When does purchasing the latest and greatest become " gear junkie-ism" ? This is an opinion question, no right or wrong. And lets assume that the device focuses nice and works fine mechanically.
I see so much about CA and spikes and clear focus to the edge and vignetting. I understand eye relief issues and I'm taking that out of the discussion. But for edge clarity for example; when you look at something through your binoculars, don't you center it anyway in the view? Do you bail on your cheaper binos and pay thousands to have it sharper to the edge but still center your target in the view? We talk about dim views compared to an Alpha bino. Well , I wear sunglasses to 'dim' my view when I'm outside, it's just too bright. Wouldn't I want some dimming if I'm looking through optics so I'm not blinded? I understand color reproduction issues and that may warrant a bino change, but probably a simple model change or brand change.
But some of these seems silly. Did you see your target or not? Does it not count because it was vignetted around it or slightly off color. Do we not check the target off our list?
Sure. Sure buy what you want, but beware that Mfgs know how to play the game of " its never good enough". They hate that you keep your binoculars 40 years. That doesn't make them money. An analogy, when I was much much younger. I wanted to be a music DJ at a Nightclub. They said. It's not about keeping the patrons dancing, it's about knowing when and how to get them to leave the dance floor, with a bad song or major beat change, so they will go to the bar and spend money on drinks. So. Are these minutiae spec improvements to optics making us "leave the dance floor" to spend? What do you say? No judgements. And to be upfront, i have never looked through any Alpha. My top binos I own are Rangemaster, B&L Custom 8x36 & 10x40 Audubon society, Leupold 10x40 i.f. porro , numerous Sears Discoverers and 804R Swift.
. Spend what you like. But I'm curious about if there is a real "need" for $3,000,4000 US dollar binoculars. If there is, I'll start saving. Thx for your opinions.

I took a Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 from Arctic Norway (Winter Ducks) into Africa, across the desert and jungle edges. I then went to the US ,and across Montana and North West warbler hunting.

It is a 200 UK sterling binocular, and I gave it to a Bird Forum member here who needed a good binocular.

I now bird with an Opticron Aurora 8x42 and carry a Zeiss 8x25 as back up, and both provide absolutely stellar views - but if you are setting out, the 8x32 Sightron Blue Sky is an absolute GEM. So much so... I brought another set as a kitchen window bino.

Last edited:
For me binoculars are tool. A tool for observing. If they do the job I want of them then they are good enough. Sometimes I will be walking all day and want a quick draw to id a bird or to scan the route ahead to see where I need to go. Sometimes I will be sitting in the same spot for an hour or two scanning around looking for things or just admiring the vista. There are many other uses, last week I was using binoculars to see the detail in the high hung paintings at the Summer Exhibition. There isn't a one size fits all model for me but all the different makes and models I have do the job asked of them or I wouldn't have them.

But in birding as in all hobbies, some folk like having the best even if they don't use its full capacity. The golfer, the carpenter, the cook may join the birder in having the latest, the finest and best crafted tools but whether it makes them any better is a moot point as long as they are enjoying themselves.

If one gets a kick out of birding with Grandad's porros then all well and good. Birding is a hobby, if you're enjoying yourself with your thrift shop 1950s optics or your 2022 "Alphas" then all is well, have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back