• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2009 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Friday, April 17

Finally, a day with spring-like temperatures - we beat 20 C for the first time this year! Spent a couple of hours down at the Toronto waterfront, dipping on Western Grebe and Harlequin Duck (yet again....:stuck:). However:

167: Common Loon
168: Red-necked Grebe
169: Barn Swallow

So it wasn't all for naught.

Cheers,
Peter C.

Georgia in the US! Savannah to be precise.

David, your bird list should advance quite rapidly when you get to Savannah! There should be a lot of birds in that area right now. This is a prime time of the year for seeing many species!

I will be keeping my eye on this thread to see what all you are adding to your list!

Dave (Nightjar61), I guess you are going to "leave me in the dust" in regards to this year's state total. My wife and I are leaving Thursday for a visit with our eldest son over in Beijing, China. We will be there for a couple of weeks, so I will be getting a late start on all the new year birds coming into our area here in the states during that time.

Hi Larry,

My state Year List is going to suffer at about the same time, because late next week I'm going to south Texas for ten days, which will be the start of prime warbler migration here. I'll probably miss a few birds for my Indiana Year List. I'm not complaining, though, because of course there are lots of great birds in Texas, including, hopefully, a few lifers I need to clean up.

Have a great trip to China, and let us know what you see there.

Dave

April 18

Spent the day (Saturday) at the Old Cut station of the Long Point Bird Observatory. It was a busy day - lots of migrants arriving, including the first warblers I've seen this year.

170: Purple Martin
171: Ruby-crowned Kinglet
172: Hermit Thrush
173: Yellow-rumped Warbler
174: Pine Warbler
175: Chipping Sparrow
176: Purple Finch

PeteR C.

High Island helped!

Three hours at High Island on Sunday added 16 year birds including three lifers:

170. Cerulean Warbler (lifer)
171. Swainson's Warbler (lifer)
172. Blackpoll Warbler (lifer)
173. Belted Kingfisher
174. Common Nighthawk
175. Chestnut-sided Warbler
176. Hooded Warbler
177. Painted Bunting
178. Orchard Oriole
179. Baltimore Oriole
180. Summer Tanager
181. Scarlet Tanager
182. Yellow-breasted Chat
183. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
184. Yellow-throated Vireo
185. Blue-headed Vireo.

Not bad - but not great for a day when High Island had 31 warbler species!

This morning at work I added:
186. Great Crested Flycatcher

Jeff

Taking our RAV4 (Toyota automobile) out east of town yesterday for some minor repair, I spotted a "Missouri year bird" while crossing a bridge.

145. Cliff Swallow, Saint Joseph, Missouri

This morning I birded some areas around Saint Joseph, Missouri, and added four more year birds.

146. Yellow-headed Blackbird, near Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri, five (5) males were in a flock of Red-headed Blackbirds.
147. Bank Swallow, one bird sitting on a barbed wire fence with some Tree Swallows near Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.
148. Chimney Swift, several flying around Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri.
149. Osprey, one individual diving for fish on the west end of Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri. While I was watching it made two dives and came up empty both times. I imagine that this bird may have been still learning the technique of catching fish!

Picking through a large gull roost late this afternoon I came up with:
212. Wilson's Plover (OK, he was actually found in the background)
213. Common Tern

I wanted to bird one more time (state side) before my wife and I head for Beijing, China, very early tomorrow morning.

I decided to go up to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, to see if I could add a couple of "new year birds" to my 2009 Missouri state list. I wound up getting four birds which were new for the year.

150. White-faced Ibis
151. Semipalmated Plover
152. American Avocet
153. Hudsonian Godwit

It was an enjoyable day out and I ended up seeing a total of 67 species, fifteen of which were geese/duck species.

Oops

According to My e-bird, the Broad-winged Hawk takes me up to 190 species.

So now I have to go back to find the three missing species!

Jeff

No birding today because I have to work, but this morning there was a new bird for the year at my feeder. I'm now up to 153 for the year.

153. Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Dave

Went on an Audubon Society tour today with a couple of experienced shorebirders as guides. We went to several places I’d not been to before, or had not paid as much attention to.
Best birds were lifers for me:
217. Wilson’s Phalarope – a very plain male
218. White-rumped Sandpiper – doubt I would have looked twice at these on my own
219. Stilt Sandpiper

Strong, steady south winds made life easy for migrants but made Quintana dead quiet. I still picked up one new warbler:
220. Blackpoll Warbler

Also saw:
221. Eared Grebe
222. Snowy Plover
223. American Oystercatcher
224. Hudsonian Godwit
225. Marbled Godwit
226. Semipalmated Sandpiper
227. Pectoral Sandpiper
228. Short-billed Dowitcher
229. Common Tern

Thanks to starting the New Year in the Everglades, plus a trip to Ecuador, and to SE Arizona, my year list so far has already blown all my past year lists out of the water... and spring migration has only begun! I got number 482 today, Yellow-breasted Chat.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back