• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2020 List Going? (1 Viewer)

March through June, limited birds in social distanced Covid times…
312. Warbling Vireo
313. Bell’s Vireo
314. Rufous Hummingbird
315. Black-headed Grosbeak
316. Bullock’s Oriole
317. Black-throated Gray Warbler
318. Blue Grosbeak
319. Western Kingbird
320. Black Skimmer
321. Wilson’s Phalarope
322. Black-chinned Hummingbird
323. Pacific-slope Flycatcher
324. Ash-throated Flycatcher
325. Western Screech-Owl
326. Spotted Owl

August birding, mostly in Ventura, CA:
327. Willow Flycatcher
328. Yellow-throated Vireo (CA lifer)
329. Least Tern
330. Virginia Rail
331. Forster’s Tern
332. Elegant Tern
333. Baird’s Sandpiper (CA lifer)
334. Franklin’s Gull
335. Snowy Plover
336. Common Tern

East Coast US travel during Covid:
337. Blue Jay
338. Northern Cardinal
339 Gray Catbird
340. Black-capped Chickadee
341. Carolina Wren
342. Common Grackle
343. Tufted Titmouse
344. White-throated Sparrow
345. Golden-crowned Kinglet
346. Red-eyed Vireo
347. Red-bellied Woodpecker
348. Pine Warbler (lifer)
349. Eastern Towhee
350. Brown Creeper
351. Mute Swan
352. Swainson’s Thrush
353. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
354. Great Black-backed Gull

CBC Season in SoCal begins:
355. Varied Thrush
356. Sandhill Crane
357. Wilson’s Snipe
358. Western Sandpiper
359. Lesser Yellowlegs

I have no list.
Does that make me a bad person?
No. In fact, I used to wonder if the fact that I keep a year list distracts me from the birds and makes me only care about the number. I don't think this is true anymore, at least not for me.

On the topic of lists, this has been by far my best year ever. The pandemic has allowed me more birding time than any previous year, allowing my to get over 200 species for the first time ever - in fact I got over 250!

There has been an irruption of winter finches into our area this winter, and I’ve been looking hard for the one I saw today. Unfortunately the bird was high in a tree, not offering the best views or photographic opportunities.

342. Common Redpoll

Dave

Had virtually no birding opportunities over the last few months. But I did get a day in yesterday on the North Wales coast. Good to see some seabirds that I've not seen in quite a few years now.

237. Razorbill
238. Black-legged Kittiwake
239. Northern Fulmar
240. Common Guillemot
241. Red-throated Diver
242. Red Knot
243. Western Barn Owl

Checking over my Year List I noted 2 birds from Darß Zingst that I forgot to report on here at the time of sighting:
143 Corn Bunting
144 European Golden Plover

And one seen in the last few days hovering near the Steinhorster Becken:
145 Rough legged Buzzard

Socially distanced CBC Season in SoCal continues:
360. White-tailed Kite
361. American Bittern
362. Greater White-fronted Goose
363. Vesper Sparrow
364. Yellow-headed Blackbird
365. Canvasback

No. In fact, I used to wonder if the fact that I keep a year list distracts me from the birds and makes me only care about the number. I don't think this is true anymore, at least not for me.

On the topic of lists, this has been by far my best year ever. The pandemic has allowed me more birding time than any previous year, allowing my to get over 200 species for the first time ever - in fact I got over 250!
With the ingenuity of eBird's functions these days, year listing for me has evolved into an excuse to explore places I never would have birded otherwise - under the guise of "chasing." I'm more concerned with the data at large, the thrill of reporting interesting things in interesting places, or birding somewhere that is under-birded or undervalued as a birding hotspot; my year list is just a happy accident that provides some semblance of a roadmap to "what's next."

Congrats on breaking 250, Raymie!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back