• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long should Zeiss service take? (1 Viewer)

Glad to hear you gave Zeiss a call and now know they are on the way back. Do you know the serial number for the unit you sent back? It will be interesting to see if they are sending a replacement or if it is the same guy with a new cover.

Oh yeah, I have it! :t:

I honestly can't imagine a new binocular. Although I think the light gray armoring LOOKS good, I wouldn't mind if they changed it for darker gray or even HT black.

I got a nice email from Zeiss today. Apologized for the delay and the binoculars were being sent out today. And YES...armoring was replaced. I really appreciate the heads-up from Zeiss Customer Service! :t:

An update:
So I called Zeiss USA this am. The SFs did go to Germany, I figured they did. They reported that they are on the way back to the USA and hopefully would be on the way back to me next week.

Chuck:

I was a bit harsh in my post above, but it did require some communication
on your part.

Good to hear they are on their way back to you.

Jerry

Chuck:

I was a bit harsh in my post above, but it did require some communication
on your part.

Good to hear they are on their way back to you.

Jerry

No problem Jerry...

I knew I could call Zeiss and find out the status of the SFs at any point. I was just curious what the average warranty turnaround from Zeiss was. ALSO....I am an owner of an EXTREMELY customer service oriented business. I feel the customer picks US do to business with, they deserve the best we can offer be it service or communication.

Maybe some think I was picking on Zeiss.....nothing further from the truth. I didn't spend $2500 on a binocular to NOT like them.;) BUT as the saying goes "where much is given, much is required."

Thanks for the comment Jerry and again...no problem whatsoever..

Just before last Christmas I had a problem with my eyepiece on my Diascope and duly sent it off to Zeiss in Germany.A new eyepiece was returned before the New Year less than two weeks.It would appear that the delays in the US may be caused by the fact that after the US base examines them they have to go to Germany for repair.....Eddy.

Just before last Christmas I had a problem with my eyepiece on my Diascope and duly sent it off to Zeiss in Germany.A new eyepiece was returned before the New Year less than two weeks.It would appear that the delays in the US may be caused by the fact that after the US base examines them they have to go to Germany for repair.....Eddy.

That and probably customs clerance going in and out of both EU and US will take some time also

For what it's worth, here is one story on warranty work from Australia - getting the intermittently sticky focussing on my Conquest HD 8x32 sorted out (see: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=324064)

The whole process has taken just over 12 weeks from sending the binos to the Australian agents to getting them back by courier from Zeiss in Germany. The agents originally quoted a 6 - 8 week turnaround; when I followed up after 8 weeks I was told the work had been done and they would soon be returned, at 11 weeks the same story at which point I contacted Zeiss directly. I had a email back the same day saying the work had just been completed (that day) and they would be with me the next week, which is what happened. I wonder if the service and repair facilities are swamped or maybe HDs and Terras get lower priority than the more expensive models? I'm pleased to have them back and so far they seem to work perfectly, but I have the feeling that if I hadn't complained the whole process could have gone on much longer. Since I've had the binos less than a year to have them unavailable for three months of this time is a significant nuisance.

Further to this, and in fairness to Zeiss, when they fix something they do it thoroughly! When I enquired about what work had been done, this list came back:

Inspection
Both eyecups defective, centre drive defective, single drive defective

Rectify:
Replace both eyecups
Replace eyepieces
Replace drive bolt 1
Replace drive bolt 2
Set centre drive smoothness
Rework single drive
Mark Zero position on single drive
Set infinity on centre drive
Replace focus knob
Replace Made in Germany logo
Replace screw

So I am confident this is a repair that will last.

For what it's worth, here is one story on warranty work from Australia - getting the intermittently sticky focussing on my Conquest HD 8x32 sorted out (see: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=324064)

I wonder if the service and repair facilities are swamped or maybe HDs and Terras get lower priority than the more expensive models? I'm pleased to have them back and so far they seem to work perfectly, but I have the feeling that if I hadn't complained the whole process could have gone on much longer. Since I've had the binos less than a year to have them unavailable for three months of this time is a significant nuisance.

I really don't think there is any priority as my SFs took a little more than four months. I actually considered the SF service was maybe slowed down due to Conquest and Terra service requests! ;)

As a side note, I recently purchased some binoculars from a dealer in Koln, Germany. Delivery time? SEVEN DAYS!

You would think all major binocular company's would have repair centres in most country's, so you don't have to send then abroad like for Zeiss Binoculars. If you want a TV repaired you don't have to wait for it being repaired out of your own country. The same with Apple iPhones or iPads or computers, they are repaired in your own country. So why not Binoculars.
Ian

ABCY 1

It sounds to me that what they made wasn't up to much in the first place. I cannot remember whch car maker boasted that its updated model had over a hundred improvements! Please don't get me going on Bill Gates!

You would think all major binocular company's would have repair centres in most country's, so you don't have to send then abroad like for Zeiss Binoculars. If you want a TV repaired you don't have to wait for it being repaired out of your own country. The same with Apple iPhones or iPads or computers, they are repaired in your own country. So why not Binoculars.
Ian

Ian

Its a good question. I will guess that the answer is quite complex.

On the one hand folks like Sony and Pansonic have a zillion products out there in the market, both in respect of models and numbers of units. It would make sense to have a repair centre here in the UK to avoid the expense of sending large numbers of sensitive electronic equipment that can often be quite large (e.g. tvs) backwards and forwards to overseas repair shops. Same goes for mobile phones when it comes to sheer numbers of units.

Bins are relatively compact even if relatively heavy but are in tiny tiny tiny numbers of units by comparison with the other products you mention. I can imagine it wouldn't make any economic sense to employ qualified engineers in each country not to mention invest in the stocks of spare parts in every single service centre.

Back in the mid-1990s I worked for a Swedish company that was very focused on customer service but an analysis clearly showed the waste of money it was to have stocks of their products at every European sales centre as they had in the past. Having a central right-sized stock in Holland with the right number of dedicated staff was much more fast-acting and economical and I think there is a parallel there when considering bins service centres.

Its a balance of course but at the end of the process, we, the consumers, don't get new products unless the producer makes a profit that it can reinvest in employees, factories and research and development.

Lee

Last edited:
To add a data point I've a pair of Conquest HDs which just came back after 108 days (15.4 weeks, 3.5 months). Zeiss USA's no fault policy is on the generous side and the various folks I spoke to on the phone were super nice. Even though I always had to call for basic inquiries as there was never any response to email and Zeiss's systems don't push any information to you. For example, I found out the binoculars had finally made their last shipping leg by coming home to a UPS InfoNotice stuck on the door. It's like it's still 1995 at Zeiss.

From the various conversations I had my understanding is the timing goes something like this:

1. shipping to Zeiss USA service - three days to a week
  2. receipt and inspection - three days to a week
  3. roundtrip to Zeiss Germany service - 10 weeks minimum
  4. receipt and final processing - three days to a week
  5. shipping to you - three days to a week
So if you live close to Zeiss USA service best case is probably about 12 weeks. I'm a bit farther away and Zeiss Germany was running at least a 12 week turn over the summer (maybe 13), hence the longer time in my case. Considering the repair in question was replacing a worn plastic bit of the focus knob and is maybe 10 minutes of actual work I can't say I'm impressed by the speed, though the price was certainly right. Along the lines of what Ian was saying, it's a bit odd the continent of North America doesn't have even one person who can do a simple change out like this as all it involves is a couple screws and a snap ring. Seems like Zeiss would save money on transcontinental shipping and handling (and probably labour) whilst customers would be able to use their optics more and wait less. Makes me wonder if a win-win is being overlooked.

Last edited:
Very fast service from Zeiss.

I will report the very fast service I just experienced with Zeiss USA.

I had just purchased a 10x40B Classic, and it arrived a bit out of collimation.

So I mailed it to them on Sept. 23rd. I received it back yesterday, Oct. 5th.
Only 12 days, and that included time in the mail.

The binocular needed alignment and a check of the focuser.

I could not believe it when it came back that fast.
It was not a serious repair, but handled very well and quickly. |:d|

Jerry

New Z Owner!

I'm also reporting superb CS from Zeiss Sports, USA! I inquired concerning a possible used 2008 Victory FL 7x42 purchase where the sale wouldn't include any OEM accessories. They asked if I purchased, to let them know for a full warranty transfer and acquisition of the Zeiss FL case, harness, rainguard and objective covers.

We'll, before I could call Zeiss back to inform them of my winning bid, the accessories started showing up at my door, including new eye pieces. All for No charge...WOW! Once the FL's arrived safely (looking New), I called back to transfer registration with the SN for which they happily obliged and stated, "we know you are going to love them"!

Of course, they were right! :t: B :)

Ted

Couple weeks ago, I sent in my SF 8x42 to Germany Zeiss Optics Repair Service for two issues: The now famous "crescent-torch flares" and dust articles appeared on the inside lens of the eye pieces. This is the first time I encountered with Zeiss customer services. So far so good! I can tell Zeiss' response time is in a slow space. The USPS tracking confirmed the delivery in Feb 2nd 2021. But I just received the receipt confirmation email from Zeiss Customer Services this morning after a inquiry phone call to them. Keep my fingers crossed and will see how things turn out at the end.

Couple weeks ago, I sent in my SF 8x42 to Germany Zeiss Optics Repair Service for two issues: The now famous "crescent-torch flares" and dust articles appeared on the inside lens of the eye pieces. This is the first time I encountered with Zeiss customer services. So far so good! I can tell Zeiss' response time is in a slow space. The USPS tracking confirmed the delivery in Feb 2nd 2021. But I just received the receipt confirmation email from Zeiss Customer Services this morning after a inquiry phone call to them. Keep my fingers crossed and will see how things turn out at the end.
Can you elaborate on the "crescent-torch flares"? If it is what I believe I don't think they are going to be able to fix it. Also is your SF the gray or the black model?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back