• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long until birds visit? Am I doing something wrong? (1 Viewer)

Akeath

I live in a small suburban townhouse in the Midwest United States. There's a shared yard/garden with a tree and a bush by the street and a little area by my picture window that I can landscape myself.

I placed a window bird feeder on the picture window to try and draw birds about a week ago. The feeder was from Amazon and very highly rated, and came with a one way mirror to put behind the feeder so the birds wouldn't see movement directly at the bird feeder area. The window is large and looks into the dining room where I keep my aquarium and is also where the cats (indoor only) like to sit and look outside. I've put a seed mixture that is mostly black oil sunflower seeds with some white proso millet, striped sunflower, and safflower seeds mixed in. I also sprinkled in a bit of a suet mixture containing suet, peanuts, corn, mealworms, and nuts.

Nearby I placed a 20 inch wide, shallow ground bird bath with a gradually sloping depth. I put a solar powered fountain in the middle to make the water move, and a flat rock. I change out the water and wipe down the bird bath each day. I put some seeds on the ground around the bird bath and under the bird feeder, and in a trail leading to the tree and bush by the street.

I've recently added a boxwood bush near the window, but it is still just a little thing. There's also an Iris plant right against the house under the window.

I have never seen a bird go near any of this. All I've seen is a couple squirrels eating the seed on the ground, pawing the window, and trying to jump to the bird feeder - which they can't quite reach. I know there are Chickadees, Mourning Doves, Sparrows, Robins, Cardinals, and Grackles around the neighborhood but none of them have come near the feeder or bath.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? What else can I do to make this more appealing to birds? How long would it take for them to come to a window bird feeder?

Attachments

• Birdfeeder Setup Cropped.JPG
    Birdfeeder Setup Cropped.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 27
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Most birds rather not feed out in the open so if you have any trees in your backyard, it might be a good idea to place some feeders back there.

Also, i might add that there is plenty of natural food available to them i.e. insects, fruit etc.

So you'll definitely have more visitors when the weather is colder and natural food is not readily available to them ;)

Welcome!

It can take a while for birds to realise there is a new feeding station in the area. If birds can see cats sitting in the room looking outside, that will put them off coming to a feeder on the window.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back