• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many hummingbird species have you seen? (1 Viewer)

canadagurl123

Just a fun thread like the woodpecker and Rail threads here. I thought it would be interesting to see how many species and what kinds people have seen since there are over 300 species.
Here's my fairly meager list:
1. Anna's Hummingbird
2, Rufous Hummingbird
3. Calliope Hummingbird
4. Black-chinned Hummingbird
5. Ruby throated Hummingbird
6. allen's Hummingbird
7. Costa's Hummingbird
8. Cozumel Emerald
9.Green breassted Mango
10. Canivet's Hummingbird
First five from BC(The Ruby throat I first saw although in Alberta and did a 4 hour twitch for one on Vancouver Island last year) The next two are from California and the other three are from Mexico

15 at the moment, including most of the ABA regulars

Violet-crowned Hummingbird
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Lucifer Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Broad-billed Hummingbird
Magnificent Hummingbird
White-eared Hummingbird
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird

For ABA I still need Berylline Hummingbird and Green Violetear of the regularly occurring species. Of course, anyone who has been to the new world tropics will make our lists look pretty pathetic :)

I don't have my life list handy, but I've seen somewhere in the vicinity of 80 species, maybe more (had just over 50 this year in Ecuador, plus many Costa Rican hummingbirds and most of the regular ABA species). Among my favorite sightings were Sword-billed Hummingbird, Ecuadorian Hillstar, Booted Racquet-Tail, Tufted Coquette, Violet-tailed Sylph, Ruby Topaz... ok so I have a lot of favorites ;)

I've got "only" 33 species, but I hope to add many species soon enough on a two month trip to Ecuador at the end of the year. Here's my list:

United States
1) Ruby-throated Hummingbird
2) Black-chinned Hummingbird
3) Anna's Hummingbird
4) Costa's Hummingbird
5) Calliope Hummingbird
6) Rufous Hummingbird
7) Allen's Hummingbird

Costa Rica
8) Band-tailed Barbthroat
9) Green Hermit
10) Scaly-breasted Hummingbird
11) Violet Sabrewing
12) Green Violetear
13) Canivet's Emerald
14) Violet-crowned Woodnymph
15) Fiery-throated Hummingbird
16) Mangrove Hummingbird
17) Steely-vented Hummingbird
18) Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
19) Stripe-tailed Hummingbird
20) Coppery-headed Emerald
21) Purple-throated Mountain-gem
22) White-throated Mountain-gem
23) Green-crowned Brilliant
24) Magnificent Hummingbird
25) Purple-crowned Fairy
26) Long-billed Starthroat
27) Magenta-throated Woodstar
28) Volcano Hummingbird

Venezuela
29) Stripe-throated Hermit
30) Black-throated Mango
31) Copper-rumped Hummingbird
32) Long-tailed Sylph
33) Violet-fronted Brilliant

Carlos

Seventeen species, all from the US or Canada.

Canada (northern Ontario)
1) Ruby-throated Hummingbird

US (all from Texas)
2) Black-chinned Hummingbird
3) Rufous Hummingbird
4) Calliope Hummingbird
5) Buff-bellied Hummingbird
6) Allen's Hummingbird
7) Broad-tailed Hummingbird
8) Broad-billed Hummingbird
9) Magnificent Hummingbird
10) Lucifer Hummingird
11) Blue-throated Hummingbird
12) Anna's Hummingbird
13) Costa's Hummingbird
14) White-eared Hummingbird
15) Violet-crowned Hummingbird
16) Green Violet-ear
17) Green-breasted Mango

Yes, lot's of hummingbirds to be seen and especially so with many fairly recent splits for the hermits.

I am still missing that darn Lucifer Hummingbird, but in North America, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, I have seen 153 species. Still need a lot more!

Favorites are:
Sword-billed Hummingbird- when you see it, you can't help but wonder if you maybe imagined it.
Giant Hummingbird- was that a swallow that just flew by...
Snowcap- not the female.
Shining Sunbeam- yet another awesome, high-Andean hummingbird.
Bearded Mountaineer- also high-Andean and spectacular.
any starfronltet- what can I say- the high Andes are incredible for hummingbirds.
Tooth-billed Hummingbird- what's up with the toothy bill?!

All of mine are from here in the U.S.:
Berylline Hummingbird
Violet-crowned Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Lucifer Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Broad-billed Hummingbird
Magnificent Hummingbird
White-eared Hummingbird
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird

I keep missing the Plain-capped Starthroat when one comes up from Mexico to the Tucson, Arizona area.
My dream birding vacation would be to South America to get a lot more of these little gems.

in the Midwest:

When I was in Corpus Christi:
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Broad-tailed Hummingbird

A grand total of 2 in 16 years of birding!

1. Ruby-throated (male) many years ago at a park here in Mississauga.

2. Bahama Woodstar (males and females), January 2010 - Nassau, Bahamas.

A paltry seven - wondrous birds though.

Antillean Crested Hummingbird
Rufous-breasted Hermit
Green-throated Carib
Vervain Hummingbird
Antillean Mango
Jamaican Mango
Streamertail

47 - yay!
of which 37 seen on a recent trip to peru

would be over 50 if i counted the briefly seen probables and dubious IDs - including sword-billed hummer. i saw it, and couldn't help but wonder if i maybe imagined it; unfortunately the wondering got the better of me :(

faves =
giant hummer
booted racket-tail
rufous-crested coquette
wire-crested thorntail

Popped my Trochilidae cherry in Quito back in '89 with a garden visiting Green Violetear (narrowly beating Black-tailed Trainbearer). That trip notched up 38 species, including such delights as booted Racket-tail, Gorgeted Sunangel, White-tailed hillstar, Violet- and Long-tailed Sylphs, Rainbow-bearded and Purple-backed Thornbills, Shining Sunbeam, White-whiskered Hermit (great names some of these hummers have) and the stonking Giant Hummingbird. A long gap the till 2000, when a trip to Manitoba added just the one; Ruby-thoated. A further 32 in '03 in Costa Rica, including Violet Sabrewing, Purple-crowned Fairy, Coppery-headed Emerald, Green Thorntail, Beryl-crowned Hummingbird, a trio of Mountaingems and Black-crested Coquette (female worse luck). The hummer haul from Brazil in '05 included eleven newbies like Swallow-tailed Hummer, Black-breasted Plovercrest, Saw-billed Hermit and Brazilian Ruby. The current total of eighty five was reached in Belize three years ago with White-bellied Emerald and Azure-crowned & Buff-bellied Hummers. Canivet's Emerald had to be disqualified when I discovered I'd already seen it as Fork-tailed Emerald in Costa Rica! fabulous group of birds, one of my faves, so thank you Canadagurl, for inspiring this trip down memory lane. (Wonder what my next hummer will be...?)

James

Never counted me hummers....probably over 80....

ps...last humbird i saw was 'Bee'....a real cracker...! [then again...there's so many good un's]....particular fond of Lancebills...

I saw a Hummer in Wickford high street once - it looked really out of place. Otherwise 8 species in America (mostly in southern Arizona I think)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back