• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

How many species? East Chevington (Northumberland, UK) (1 Viewer)

_pauls

Apologies if this is inappropriate but I was just looking back through some photos on a memory card from earlier this summer (late Aug) and was looking full size through the various birds and found a few that I didn't realise were there.

How many different species do can you see here? (and which ones obviously)

A full size image here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_pauls/8060285349/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Attachments

• aIMGP9499.jpg
    aIMGP9499.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 144

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
I can see

cormorant
lapwing
curlew
herring gull
great black backed gull
lesser black backed gull? (far right of the picture)
sandwich tern
black-headed gulls
mallard
starlings
a golden plover in the blurred part of the lapwings
and a sleeping spoonbill.

Last edited:

_pauls

I can see

cormorant
lapwing
curlew
herring gull
great black backed gull
lesser black backed gull? (far right of the picture)
sandwich tern
black-headed gulls
mallard
starlings
and a sleeping spoonbill.

Not bad but at least 2 more species there...

Um.. although I hadnt spotted the starlings - got them now!

Last edited:

_pauls

Oops - Golden Plover was one of them (I count 3 in the bottom right) but the other one I was thinking was the coot that I've just noticed that I lost when I cropped the image!

Just looking at the row of curlews at the top.. are the all curlews? If you count three in from the left then you get three birds almost in a line - the top most has a plainer head and looks like a straighter bill - a godwit perhaps?

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
I only see curlews there, the bird in question seems to be a curlew with the curved part of the beak hidden behind the one in front.

_pauls

I only see curlews there, the bird in question seems to be a curlew with the curved part of the beak hidden behind the one in front.

Quite possible - as you can probably guess it was the sleeping spoonbill I was looking at so the curlews (even more) blurry.

Just the head shape and pattern looked a little different. There are also three snipe on the island with the spoonbill but I don't think they are visible in this shot!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread