• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often does this happen to you? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
Yesterday afternoon I thought that, with all these Laughing Gulls around, I'd go out and find my own. So I went and scoured the Plym Estuary. Saw sod all of course. And, needless to say, while I was there, some lucky b***** turned one up one the river next door. I console myself in the certain knowledge that, if I had chosen to check out the Tamar/Tavy instead the bird would have turned up on the Plym.

Tell me I'm not the only person this sort of thing happens to.

Hi Jason,
I went out around the city to look through the small gulls today, and a 1st-w Franklin's was found in Co. Galway! Of course, it didn't appear at all settled (they never seem to be over here!), and was only seen in flight.
I had nothing of note, save for a Chiffchaff!
Regards,
Harry

All too often, Jason, and exactly the same circumstances as you - thinking Laughing Gulls, I spent ages checking out a large gull roost near my croft yesterday morning. What's found in the afternoon on Fetlar (an island a few miles away to the north over the water, and clearly visible from my kitchen window)? Yep, a Laughing Gull. And here's its picture >LINK<

It gets worse. It flew away south, so really should have been waiting for me this morning. But of course, no sign of it. Bugger bugger bugger.

ce

Bluetail said:
Yesterday afternoon I thought that, with all these Laughing Gulls around, I'd go out and find my own. So I went and scoured the Plym Estuary. Saw sod all of course. And, needless to say, while I was there, some lucky b***** turned one up one the river next door. I console myself in the certain knowledge that, if I had chosen to check out the Tamar/Tavy instead the bird would have turned up on the Plym.

Tell me I'm not the only person this sort of thing happens to.

If this flew up river (which I assume it did) it flew right past my house. If I'm lucky I may be able to 'scope it from the bedroom!!

I hope it's the Seaton/Looe bird from last week 'cos I'd like a proper look at it

Darrell

Thanks, folks. It's nice to know I'm in good company!

What's even more infuriating is when the bird is on the same site as you and you still miss it. That's happened to me before now too!

Lifes a @#;*$ sometimes. :storm:

As you may of seen from the waxwing post, I've been hunting them for 2 weeks. Only to find they have turned up in my uncles garden and my grans :gh: garden too. Not to mention about 4 of my mates seeing them and all the other sightings in our town.

So it aint only yourself. Its enough to drive you to drink. B :) Hopefully our luck will change though.
Hope you get a laugh soon.

Cheers kas

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back