• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

how rare are cuckoo's? (1 Viewer)

lark o'dell

today the local patch tommrow the world
hi everybody

i went to Summerleyes local nature reserve today (trip report in my blog)

and i heard a cuckoo now iv never seen one before but iv heard them in summerleyes a few times before i could not locate it but while i was walking around the site this morning i saw a lot of people with cameras i thought maybe a rare bird was in the area and i had flashes of the red kite in derbyshire etc in my head, when i enterd a hide i was met by a group of people all with there camera's out etc asking about the cuckoo

so this got my thinking could it be that the cuckoo they wanted to photograph was just a mini project for the summer or are cuckoo's rare?

i know there quite hard to find in northamptonshire but would the presence of a cuckoo cause such a stir that say 10 people all with mk1s and 500mm lens etc come chasing after it?

i have been neglecting my birding for a few years but am back on it with a vengence at the moment so just wondering weather cuckoo's have become rarer etc

liverpool_bob

scarce migrant to yorkshire
hi everybody

i went to Summerleyes local nature reserve today (trip report in my blog)

and i heard a cuckoo now iv never seen one before but iv heard them in summerleyes a few times before i could not locate it but while i was walking around the site this morning i saw a lot of people with cameras i thought maybe a rare bird was in the area and i had flashes of the red kite in derbyshire etc in my head, when i enterd a hide i was met by a group of people all with there camera's out etc asking about the cuckoo

so this got my thinking could it be that the cuckoo they wanted to photograph was just a mini project for the summer or are cuckoo's rare?

i know there quite hard to find in northamptonshire but would the presence of a cuckoo cause such a stir that say 10 people all with mk1s and 500mm lens etc come chasing after it?

i have been neglecting my birding for a few years but am back on it with a vengence at the moment so just wondering weather cuckoo's have become rarer etc

They are less numerous but not rare... Maybe it was a bird photography class?

Adam W

Not rare but perhaps not the easiest to photograph so maybe word hd got round that one was showing well an attracted a few photographers.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread