• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How tight is NL Pure's rubber armour (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
I think this is only from Hand Sweat.
With ever more discussion of this issue here, this strikes me as the likely conclusion also (in the absence of lotions like DEET or sunscreen). It happens on cameras too. People with deteriorating armor find that it happens quickly now (it seems that older armor was less susceptible), while most never see it as sweat does vary. Perhaps more regular cleaning of the binocular might help.

Aquaplas

Austria
With ever more discussion of this issue here, this strikes me as the likely conclusion also (in the absence of lotions like DEET or sunscreen). It happens on cameras too. People with deteriorating armor find that it happens quickly now (it seems that older armor was less susceptible), while most never see it as sweat does vary. Perhaps more regular cleaning of the binocular might help.
I never use a sun lotion or other lotions. I never pick my binos with dirty hands.
yes, it is also on cameras, but not in my old ones...

Patison

Russian Federation
Just checked another 10x42 in a store and it has more or less the same spongy play especially in the wasp waist area. I decided not to send mine for any rubber replacement and to see if it will become more stretched during use.

Anyway thanks everyone for replies, hope information in this thread will be useful for others.

Gijs van Ginkel

Patison, post 1,
I watched your video and personally I would not worry about it, since it seems to me that the sort of cushion effect can also feel very pleasant and it does not harm the function of your NL. And of course Swarovski will replace it for free if you sent the binocular to them. On the other hand I can understand your worries.
My 8x42 sample does not show the '"cushion" effect you demonstrate in the video.
Gijs van Ginkel

master5

Привет! Из России. У вас уже новая нумерация моделей Свара, вторые две цифры должны обозначать неделю выпуска! Мой друг купил NL 8x42 в начале продаж, у него номер еще был А9034....! Я посмотрю при случае, что с броней у него! У меня SLC 8x42 2016года, проблем нет никаких с резиной.. В любом случае у вас есть гарантия 10 лет и у Сваровски самый лучший сервис в мире, они вам без проблем поменяют или тп бинокль..!

Mod translation:-
Hello! From Russia. You already have a new numbering of Svar models, the second two digits should indicate the week of release! My friend bought the NL 8x42 at the beginning of the sales, he still had the number A9034....! I'll see if he has the armor! I have an SLC 8x42 2016, there are no problems with rubber. In any case, you have a guarantee of 10 years and Swarovski has the best service in the world, they will easily change you or tp binoculars

Last edited by a moderator:

Scudder

Canada
I had never noticed this on my NL 8x42, until now. There is a small spot about as big as a dime on the top of the curvy part that is ever so slightly loose. I am confident it's normal. I won't worry about it.

rpg51

Supporter
I will check mine. But, it seems it is not normal given the response from swaro. I might wait a few years until they need refreshing generally and then send them back over the winter to get refurbished. Part of the ridiculous price tag is the excellent warranty, which Swaro stands behind better than most.

Users who are viewing this thread