• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How tight is NL Pure's rubber armour (1 Viewer)

Patison

Russian Federation
I've just became an NL Pure owner. It's my first alpha and I'm absolutely amazed of it's picture quality.

But I have noticed, that it's rubber armour does not cover the body tightly in all areas so there are places with about 1 mm free space between rubber and metal itself (symmetrically on both sides). Even closer to objectives there is still a very tiny free space in some areas. It is also confusing because of brush and soap in the box for washing the binos — guess some water can remain in those spaces for a long time.

Any owners here — do you have the same thing with your NL's? Or I should not focus on this so much?

P.S. Made a short video to illustrate what I am talking about:

I just checked my Nl. Mine also shows that spongey play in the armour especially in the wasp waist area. I don't think I am going to worry about it. I hadn't noticed this before you pointed this out.

Yes I have noticed that as well. With my Nl 10x it is also most noticeable around the objective lens area. It made me frown a bit but I try to not worry about it. It does indeed make you wonder about the soap 'n brush thing though...

And don't forget that the armour has to be removable to allow servicing and repairs. It is not meant to be permanently fixed in place.

Lee

Yes I have noticed that as well. With my Nl 10x it is also most noticeable around the objective lens area. It made me frown a bit but I try to not worry about it. It does indeed make you wonder about the soap 'n brush thing though...
If the soap 'n brush thing would worry me, walking in the rain with it should worry me much more, which doesn't worry me at all.
Sigh, life is hard. All those worries........

Jan

Thank you all for your replies! Looks like it's a common thing and not an issue at all.

In case somebody will be curious, SN on my binos starts from AD10xxxxxA, so if I'm correct it seems to be manufactured between sept and dec 2020.

I bought the NL in January. The temperature was at this time -10 degrees here in Austria. And the Armour was at this time tight. Now, with the warmer weather comes this gap.
Also on the Zeiss SF 8x42 (the grey Version) it is the same. Think this is still normal

I had 2 NLs 8 by 42 with loose rupper around only one objectiv.
A friend of mine at which is the rubber ok. He has an 8 by 42 too.
So think this loose rubber is not ok, especially with a premium binoculars in this price range.
I have not had this at SLCs, ELs or CL Companion.

had 2 NLs 8 by 42 with loose rupper around only one objectiv.
A friend of mine at which is the rubber ok. He has an 8 by 42 too.
So think this loose rubber is not ok, especially with a premium binoculars in this price range.
I have not had this at SLCs, ELs or CL Companion.

On My SLC 8x42HD (fist Version) the Rubber loosen complet. After sending to Swarovski i get a new Rubber, and after about 3 months the new Rubber began to loosen on the Right Tube. On my SLC 8x56 the Rubber Armour is Broken complete down on the place where the right Thum Tube is. After Armoring the 8x56 New it still holds up now. On the Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 (the first grey Version) The Rubber comes loosen on both Tubes, but significant more on the left side.
Iam not a hard user. Most times i take much care on my Binos. This is i think a general Phenomen of most new Glasses. I like my 25 yerar old Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 and my 15x60. This Rubber is a other Dimension! The only Bino you can buy this Qualiti actual is The green Version of the Swarovski Habicht. This Rubber is much better, but much heavier.

@ aquaplas
which version of the SLC 8 by 56 do you have?
I find the rubber of the SLCs ( newer versions ) also thicker than from the NLs.

@ aquaplas
which version of the SLC 8 by 56 do you have?
I find the rubber of the SLCs ( newer versions ) also thicker than from the NLs.
I have the Newest Version the actual version from the SLC 8x56. But the Rubber of the 8x56 comes not completly down than on the 8x42 SLC an on the SF, it breaks on one point completley off.

Oh, this is bad news. I also have the SLC 8 by 56.
Just use it.... and send it to Swaro when the Problem comes. I think this is only from Hand Sweat. Because there is no other thing who can damage my Rubber on my Binos. I take much Care of my Binos. But i use it every day. It can not be a specific Problem with my use, because My Dialyts are all in Great Condition. The new Rubber on the SLC 8x56 is thicker than on the older Models, but it is a other Rubber in Consistency.

My 8.5x42 SV also has this a little bit. When brand new it was completely tight and after a year or so at was like the video in some places. However, it didn't deteriorate in the years after (it's almost 10 years old now). I also don't care at all :) .

I've also get a reply from Swaro support.

The tightness is certainly guaranteed - the armouring does not seal the unit but the housing underneath
We have forwarded your video to the product managers.
Maybe the armouring is a little too big or not properly fixed and therefore loose.
We can offer you to change the armouring here in our factory.

Guess I will visit my local store to see how it is going on with other models and then decide whether it's worth the time to send them binos for the new armor. Because seems even after replacement it can become a bit loosen again.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back