• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to remove a stuck Kowa 883 eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Any tips?

I have purchased an 1.6 extender, but having come to untwist the eyepiece from the scope, it is stuck solid and just won't come off. I am reluctant to twist it as it feels like it would eventually snap through sheer force.

Hi,

sorry to hear this - in general the bayonet mount should be fairly easy to unlock - twist it around 60 degrees counterclockwise and then pull.

The lowermost edge of the Kowa EPs with the EP type stenciled on it is unfortunately fairly narrow (3-4mm) - above that there is the part which you twist to zoom which I would indeed not want to apply a lot of force to - unlike the edge below, if you can grab it firmly.

As for why - is it possible that the EP was last mounted in hot and/or high conditions and now in cold weather and/or low altitude air pressure presses the EP in firmly?

PS: and yes as Dutchbirder noted, a hairdryer (not a workshop hot air-gun!!!) pointed to the body around the EP might help, as well as lowering air pressure... either by going up or waiting for a rainfront...

Joachim, who has made the mistake to set his dive watch to the destination TZ on a plane once... bad move as I could not unscrew the crown for the whole vacation - luckily it was an automatic watch...

Any tips?

I have purchased an 1.6 extender, but having come to untwist the eyepiece from the scope, it is stuck solid and just won't come off. I am reluctant to twist it as it feels like it would eventually snap through sheer force.
Maybe a daft question, but have you held in the black release button on the body while twisting the eyepiece anti-clockwise?

At least you didn't put channel locks on it and twist it off which is what I probably would have done. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back