• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (3 Viewers)

Brill', thanks folks. I'll be back on tomorrow morning to check before making my final decision.

Chris

Last edited:
Yesterdays totals - 109 Leach's at Hilbre, 52 at Hoylake, 11 at Red Rocks and 12+ at New Brighton;

Today - 28 Leach's at Hilbre, 14 at Leasowe and 6 at Hoylake;

CB

Thanks CB for the positive words. I've still got Jane's weather sites open and it still appears to be showing a gusty N Wester in the Irish Sea. Fingers crossed.

Regards, Chris

SHIPPING FORECAST IRISH SEA: Southwesterly veering westerly or northwesterly, 5 to 7, decreasing 4 later.

Which sounds all fine and dandy... except its currently SSE 2.

Raining hard though, which means it not as bad as it could be

15+ past Pendeen, N Cornwall yesterday am, although only saw half that number myself (as most presumably, as very difficult to get on any more distant birds) - good numbers for N Cornwall apparently.

Some were reasonably good views (c. 800m out), and one unfortunately taken from behind by a Peregrine.

With this species do they tend to come through in one period, ie is this it for 2013? I'm just wondering if after a period of non-conducive conditions things come right again, a week or two later say, does one get a second chance (I'm clutching at so many straws here I'm starting to drop 'em)?

Regards, Chris

With this species do they tend to come through in one period, ie is this it for 2013? I'm just wondering if after a period of non-conducive conditions things come right again, a week or two later say, does one get a second chance (I'm clutching at so many straws here I'm starting to drop 'em)?

Regards, Chris

Did you go this morning Chris ?

I'm off after tonight until Oct 7th so there's hope yet.::t:

If the Shrike stays at Leiston tonight we will be going there tomorrow so Saturday onwards I will be in Leache's watch.

John

I can't do it now,but look up thread a couple of pages. Another month for the same rules to apply.

Did you go this morning Chris ?

I didn't John. Jane kindly kept me informed and I checked those good weather sites and things just weren't right for my narrow window. Unfortunately I had family commitments this aft' so that was a non-starter.
So, my primed satnav, picnic and toys for the nipper and beautifully ironed OS map were all in vain.

Chris

I didn't John. Jane kindly kept me informed and I checked those good weather sites and things just weren't right for my narrow window. Unfortunately I had family commitments this aft' so that was a non-starter.
So, my primed satnav, picnic and toys for the nipper and beautifully ironed OS map were all in vain.

Chris

It's a shame the weather was against you this morning and you missed your window of opportunity. Catching up with some of these migratory sea birds is not easy as I know only too well, especially when you don't live by the coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back