• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (3 Viewers)

Well I got my first Leache's of the year but I had to travel to the other side of the country to see them when I spotted two of them from Cley Beach car park.

Unluckily for all those present I was the only one to see them as the waves were so huge the Leache's were soon lost behind them before anyone could get onto them.

John

Yes I know there is no chance of an LP in the near future, but I've been contacted by someone who really want to see one. My best current guess is Sat 27th Sept... assuming that the predicted winds of Thurs and Fri hold up.

Hi everyone, hope you're all enjoying great birds. I happen to have a week plus off (hooray��) and I'm planning on some sea watching and wondered what more experienced folk my suggest from around Tuesday 23/09/14 for the 7 following days, all much appreciated and ultimately I know I could also pin a tail on the map, cheers and bests from the midlands. Jase

Its too far off to trust the predictions..... already the system that I was hopeful about is heading too far north according to the latest forecasts. Its looking like the worst Sept in my memory for West Coast sea watching!

This system on Sept 30th looks juicy though - fast moving AND vigorous!

Attachments

• 30th Sept.jpg
    30th Sept.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Jane, greatly appreciated, I'm actually off until the 2nd October so I'll see how that later weather evolves. Cheers, Jason

Late Fri early Sat look like there is a chance of small no's of LPs - but I'd not be advocating travelling any distance. There are odd records coming in today from the places that matter in NW Scotland and the current wind should at least feed some into the Irish sea.

Attachments

• live wind.jpg
    live wind.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 140
SW is ok for getting any stragglers into the Irish Sea. Its very late though - there will only be stragglers . Should be OK for Pomarine Skua and Grey Phalarope

There should be petrels available in small numbers tomorrow. There is too much spray and the tide is too far out for me to be able see anything except large birds. What is noticeable is the number of Bonxies that are heading East.

Still NW -WNW force 8 gusting 10 out there

Hi,

I see that small numbers of Leach's petrel have been reported from Gloucestershire and Somerset today and yesterday and the winds on the West coast are Westerly or North Westerly for the next few days (although not that strong) - this is according to the BBC - not sure how reliable that is.

My question is what are the chances of any Leach's petrel this weekend off the North West coast? Are the winds strong enough and in the right direction?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

The winds are rather light up here for now - but its peak season. Magic seaweed suggests it would be better to go to the SW!

Last edited:
There should be plenty of Petrels in the irish sea, but I'd not be confident that they will be visible from land. Lets see if that wind on wed materialises!

This is still my 'most wanted' bird in the UK. Am I right in assuming that it is now too late in the year to hope these prolonged westerly gales will bring them?

Ordinarily yes, but in one year a run of severe SW gales in Nov and Dec did bring good numbers of LP back up.Lets see what Abigail does!

Worth noting I also had what looked ever so like a Brown Skua with them

edit.. 68 on Dec 9th 2006 in a massive run of SW gales that deposited SAbines gulls everywhere

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back