• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

I/m thinking more like a week to 10 days of strong SWs to bring birds back, then the wind would have to swing W or NW to actually see any

The aren't getting out of the New Brigton/Leasowe area just now - its too rough out my way. I'd expect birds to be available tomorrow - but not in large numbers. I'm accumulating Great Skuas off me - not a good place to be if you are easily swallowable. Tide is mid day ish

The wind has slacked off for now, but is forecast to be strong for most of next week. Since its been proven that there are small numbers petrels still in the Irish Sea, they should be pretty certain once the wind picks up.

Added to that there is a formidable amount of rain forecast - so visibility will be filthy (which always helps)

The wind has swung away from the south - so now W rather than SW, which should be better for north Wirral. It been very windy overnight

Hi,

What do you think the chances are for Leach's petrel at New Brighton tomorrow?

I wouldn't be able to get there until 9.30am so would arrive on a falling tide 2 hours after sunrise. I could wait until sunset at 4.10pm but that is a couple of hours before high tide as well.

I would be arriving by train from London so won't have a car but guess I could walk down further to Leasowe if that would be better.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi,

What do you think the chances are for Leach's petrel at New Brighton tomorrow?

I wouldn't be able to get there until 9.30am so would arrive on a falling tide 2 hours after sunrise. I could wait until sunset at 4.10pm but that is a couple of hours before high tide as well.

I would be arriving by train from London so won't have a car but guess I could walk down further to Leasowe if that would be better.

Thanks,

Ian

I think you're in with a decent chance, according to Bird guides there's been 8 off Leasowe today and 5 off New Brighton. They're often seen leaving the Mersey from New Brighton in the early morning, dawn would be best but you'll just have to hope that one lingers off shore for a while. Winds look ok strength wise, from a northerly direction which isn't ideal but could be worse, especially if they're already in the Mersey for the night. Good luck, I'll probably be there as well.

Wrap up!

N isn't a great direction for North Wirral and its very much N now. Point Lynas on Anglesey or the Orme might do better

Its forecast to be more NW on Sunday. There are birds out in the Irish sea and they have been battered by winds, so it won't take much to bring them close

Last edited:
St Ives NCI lookout.

St Ives:- 9 Leach`s Storm-petrel; 8 Grey Phalarope; 8 Great Northern Diver; Black-throated Diver; Velvet Scoter; 3 1w Little Gull; 12 Great Skua past.

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately the Northerly winds meant that the best bird I saw was a common scoter and looking at the reports on RBA, Jane was right and North Wales was the place to be for Leach's Petrel today.

The weather forecast for Sunday didn't seem to be any better than today with the winds looking Northerly again so I decided not to stay the night and headed home.

Leach's Petrel is by far the commonest bird I have never seen but I'll have to try again next year.

Hi,

According to the BBC there are NW winds forecast for Friday and Saturday - are they strong enough to bring any Leach's petrels in do you think?

Thanks,

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back