• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Its blowing hard here...and the tide is coming in. Plenty of Kittiwakes and a few ducks moving. Pintail and Wigeon so far. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain (I can't see through the windows then!)

I've decided to keep the house yearlist updated here.

So at the end of Jan 1st it stood at 37. Here they are in order

Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull, Starling, Carrion crow, Blackbird, Great Tit, Curlew, Shelduck, Common Gull, Cormorant, Dunlin, Red-throated Diver, Robin, Dunnock, Brent Goose, Oystercatcher, Great Black-backed Gull, Kittiwake, Woodpigeon, Common Scoter, Grey Plover, Shelduck, Collared Dove, Great Crested Grebe, House Sparrow', Red-breasted Merganser, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Goldfinch, Song Thrush, Wren, Feral Pigeon, Magpie, Ringed Plover, Knot, Bar-tailed Godwit.

Last edited:
Wow , Jane , you live in an excellent spot ! I've managed 26 species today , but I have had to work 17 hours , so the only birding I've done is in the car driving to and from work , walking the dog and through the window at work . Still , I got a few good birds , 1 Buzzard , c30 Goosander , 3 Bullfinch and best of all 2 Peregrines . I'm off work next week and I hope to get in a couple of really good days birding . Happy New Year !! ... and good birding .

Jada...yes I know I am lucky..though I did work towards ths!

Today's additions:

Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Blackcap, Guillemot, Pergerine, so the year total is on to 42. The visibility was about 30 miles more than yesterday! 75ish Scoter were the highlight of the day.

Jan 3rd additions. Not done any birding today, but added Mistle Thrush, Redwing, Pied Wagtail, Grey wagtail and Chaffinch, taking th year total to 47. Blue Tits are outnumbered by both Coal and Great Tits at the moment, I don't think they had a very good year

Jan 4th. Barely looked at the garden today, but while ironing had a real scare when I swear I heard a Yellow-browed Warbler.... no sign of a bird of course, though I did see a Sparrowhawk while hanging out of the spare bedroom window checking out my neighbour's garden!

There is a Snow Bunting on the beach, but I just couldn't see it from the house! Had it been a Shore Lark I'd have got on the roof!

48 for the year.

Been out a lot recently and had a bit of a heavy night last night! There was a nice tide, with plently of waders, though strangely still no sanderling. 20 or Turnstone, a drake Goldeneye and a Razorbill were new for the year. 50 for the year , I misread my spreadsheet before!

No...actually very few Sea Duck at all. Scaup is a sort of Sh!t or bust species... there used to a flock of 250 in the Dee and occasionally then come out of the mouth of the river on a dropping tide. Don't recall seeing a LTD since February or there abouts. Never common here.

12th Jan: Sanderling recorded at last! About 15 in the 1000 or so Dunlin on the beach. Failed comprehensively to get a decent shot of one, well actually anything today. Here are a couple of Ringed Plovers hiding behind some Spartina and trying to keep out of the wind.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 255
Shipping forecast SOLE LUNDY FASTNET IRISH SEA SHANNON
WEST OR SOUTHWEST 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9, OCCASIONALLY STORM 10 AT FIRST EXCEPT IN IRISH SEA, DECREASING 6 TO GALE 8. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MAINLY GOOD.

Er its here... its blowing and who knows, there may be something interesting on the tide this afternoon.

Jane,
I like these sort of threads - keep it going. You have more than enough information and pictures for your own website. Ever thought of starting one up. I do a small one for my own sightings here in Gloucestershire but I have to travel around the county whereas you have enough species and such a variety to do it all from home. You could even get a domain name of "Hoylakebirdobs.com" or similar and would rival the various bird observatories around the country.

Its really rough here. The windows are caked with salt, hence the poor pics, but at least you get an idea what it is like out there.

15 or so Little Gulls and plenty of Kittiwakes out at sea. Birds on the beach are keeping thier heads down, hiding behind anything they can find...apart from a Sanderling in the middle pic! I can't see anything in the Gull roost, as per usual, though there are 1000's fewer than normal. I guess they have gone inland to ride out the storm. On days like this we sometimes get waders on the front lawn!

Attachments

• gull roost.JPG
    gull roost.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 251
  • sand1.JPG
    sand1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN5144.JPG
    DSCN5144.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 280
Looks like a rough day there Jane. It's fairly tranquil round these parts by comparison. I notice that a Cory's was blown up the Severn this morning so maybe the action is further south. Or perhaps you'll have something re-orienting tomorrow?

Jane,

Well as such it was quiet up here, but a blue Fulmar will be the second for Lancs so I could do with more quiet days like this one!!!

Boy was I pleased - persistence has its own rewards. :frog:

Stephen.

Bizzare date for a Fulmar! Only had bluish ones here....

I'm working, haven't seen the sun for two days :(

Not even checked the pond for Little Auks!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back