• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

Nice, I think I'm getting it but have become a bit of a technophobe since we last met!
It's essentially three elements.

Parabolic Reflector
Microphone (Any mic will fit in the Parabolic you suggest?)
Recorder

How do you position it? I do have a few trees on my property over 60 feet but I don't fancy that. Is it ok just outside on a tripod?

Looking forward to this. My Garden list stalled in the 90's. Not the decade obv!

Luv Dave

Any Omni-directional mic will work in the parabolic - but the mic is where to spend your money. I usually open my office/seawatch hide window and point the parabolic upwards and out a bit over the beach. This has the advantage that the recorder is inside and can be powered.

You need some software too - I recommend Audacity and Raven [from Cornell] I use Audacity to listen and make quick assessments on sonagrams, isolate calls I want to look at further and cut out noise, whilst Raven is better for producing final sonagrams

In other news there was a Yellow-browed Warbler in ther back garden yesterday afternoon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm7iym1zzvno91r/Yellow-browed 19th October 2019-10-19 17-58-29.mp4?dl=0

This is a play through on audacity, using windows 10's recorder to capture a video.

Jan 1st 2020.
30 species recorded today, unsurprisingly 30 for the year. 42 birds caught, 15 of which were retraps.

The biggest surprise was a nominate race Chiffchaff which was caught in the front garden, in the buckthorn. Chaffinch and Goldcrest were also likely migrants.

A sound only Raven 4 Brent Geese, viewable down the mist-net lane and 200 or so Pink-footed Geese were the other highlights

After days of gales and lashing rain, it was a little calmer and brighter today.

2 adult Little Gulls, around 150 Kittiwakes and a Razorbill was new for the year [53 species]

There was a Great Northern Diver on Jan 25th as well as regular sighings of Chiffchaffs

Up to 61 species now this year with the surprise capture of a Tree Sparrow Yesterday. Never common on North Wirral, these species is declining markedly, so I was less that 50:50 about recording one this year, let alone ringing one.

Also new were Wigeon, Jackdaw and Rock Pipit.

A Fulmar Feb 23rd was unexpected.

In January I rang 85 birds of 15 species, but only 10 of 6 species in February.

Attachments

• DSCN0396-001.JPG
    DSCN0396-001.JPG
    936 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am doing a patchlist - so will endeavor to keep this up to date.
Long-tailed Duck, 6 Gannet and 6 Brent Geese was the highlight of January 1st.

5/6 Long Tailed duck a single then 5 in flight with Raven and Guillemot new for the year

Too many Scoter to count today - 10-30K at a guess, 110 Brent Geese, Wren and Pied Wagtail new for the year. 45 Red-throated Diver and 210 Great crested grebes as a result of boats in the windfarm (probably the cause of more visible scoter too.

39 for the year

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back