• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Huay Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary (1 Viewer)

biodav32

biodav32
Hi,
I am going to visit Huay Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary on 4th May and i would like to find a bird checklist of the area.I already checked by internet but i couldn t find it.
Anybody know where can i find a reliable bird list and any type of bird information about this sanctuary ?

This is my blog if you want to take a look:
www.worldbirdwatching.wordpress.com

I have to say that there is very little information about bird watching in Kanchanaburi province,shocking if we consider that is the most important natural corridor between Thailand and Burma, with many national parks and wildlife sanctuaries to explore.

Hi David

I got this page from Avibase for Kanchanaburi, but they don't have a separate listing for Huay Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary.

Searching our own Gallery and Opus, I found about 11 pictures that have been taken in Kanchanaburi, which may be of interest to you.

Hi David,

I think that you will probably continue to struggle to find published information regarding the birds. Huai Kha Khaeng has pretty much been off limits on the general birding circuit, often requiring permits, arranged in advance under invite to visit the reserve. You are probably aware it is one of the most important remaining wilderness areas in the region still containing a core population of rapidly declining large mammals including Tiger,Leopard, Banteng, Tapir, Elephant etc. Because of the former and latter, you may find your access restricted somewhat. I will ask someone for you who has done many years camera trapping studies in the area in case there is a general bird list available in Thai which may be translated, but having looked into visiting the area many times myself, I'm pretty sure its limited.
This may be useful - http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sitefactsheet.php?id=15105 and as Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is contiguous with Mae Wong, this checklist should help - http://www.thaibirding.com/checklists/maewong_list.htm

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
seems to be off the circuit now, but I went there twice in 1988-89. The ridge of evergreen forest above the station was good for grey peacock-pheasant, spot-necked babbler, bar-backed partridge, mountain scops owl, blue pitta and best of all rufous-necked hornbill. I think coral-billed scimitar babbler was there as well (not seen by us). Plain-pouched hornbill is (was) probably also there but also at Thung Yai further west.

Some of these may well have been lost due to very extensive fires (which burned the evergreen as well as the deciduous forests).

cheers, alan

Thanks Hanno,
I would like to ask you few questions
How many trails are in the sanctuary ?
Are the most interesting species around the headquarters or quite farther ?
can i move around with total freedom or there are some restrictions ?
have you ever seen leopard in the sanctuary ? how often ?
sorry for ask you a lot of questions, :=))))

There are not many trails, as a matter of fact we used streams as our trails some of the time. Many interesting species right by the bungalows and the rangers' restaurant, including Blue Magpies and Laughingthrushes eating off the dining tables. I do not remember any restrictions but then we were with one of the employees of the park. Whilst we saw very fresh trails, claw marks, and scat of Tigers, Bears, and Leopards, we never saw any of the animals.

I visited Kuiburi NP a few years ago. A bit disappointed at arriving when the rangers told me that you can not enter the park by your own due to the many elephants in the area. Probably possible to make arrangements in advance.

I just arrived from Kuiburi National park.Tomorrow I am going to Huay Kha Khaeng.I will write my report in a few days !! :)))

This is my blog if you want to take a look :

www.worldbirdwatching.wordpress.com

I wonder why Gurney's Pittas seem absent from Kuiburi as they can be found on the Myanmarese side of the border...

When i read your blog ,it seems to be possible today to go into the park without making arrangements in advance.Right?
The reason why there are no sights of the Pitta is probably because there arn't any birders going there. Or if there are-they are very few!

When I went, the visit was arranged in advance. But whilst we were there, somebody just rocked up and got in.

I am a photographer and went last year. Easy access and had some good birds. I did not explore allot. But, got the black headed woodpecker. And the laughing thrush easy. No permits. I am going back this year. But late now.

Hi there, recently moved to Thailand and will be teaching English Literature and Environmental Science at Satri Thungsong. We have field trips planned and still very much acclimatizing but already just around the town I've seen Black-naped Oriole and Pied Kingfisher. We are right on the doorstep of a fairly unexplored National Park and will soon be taking part in a Moon Safari.
Will hopefully get this thread rolling in earnest and would be very interested to start communicating with any other resident Thailand birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back