• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hueti / huetii (1 Viewer)

Monsieur H... and "his" Scarlet-shouldered Parrotlet

Ok, now I've kept my "mouth shut, and fingers calm" long enough, as of right now it's impossible (and I actually only promised such measures regarding the "nomenclature question" itself) ;) Well, well, (excuses apart), here we go again, this time, (again) regarding the guy commemorated in ...

huetii as in:
• the Scarlet-shouldered Parrotlet Touit huetii TEMMINCK 1830 (OD, here + Plate here, or in Martin's Post #1, last link), as "PSITTACUS HUETII" (note the spelling, of the French name; Perroguet Hüet [sic] on the Plate, also typed as such in the bottom left corner!), a k a Huet's Parrot alt. Huet's Parrotlet, alt. Toui de Huet (in French).

Additional (and possibly contradictory!) info might be found in the book below (in which I assume "our guy", the very dedicatee himself, ought to be included):

Les Hüet : Jean Baptiste et ses trois fils, by C. Gabillot, "1892", (here, all in French, and as such I´m, more or less, disconnected), though see pp.130-134 (+ onwards, and elsewhere).

The full context of it is way beyond me, but I cannot help noticing that Monsieur Gabillot consistently, throughout this book use the spelling Hüet ... with the dots (diaeresis) on top of the u, not over the e). Surely, when writing such a detailed monograph, any Author would use, and ought to know, the very spelling/version of how to write his (and their) Surname. As well as his, and their resp. years (and dates).

Or?

Enjoy!

Björn

Ok, now I've kept my "mouth shut, and fingers calm" long enough, as of right now it's impossible (and I actually only promised such measures regarding the "nomenclature question" itself) ;) Well, well, (excuses apart), here we go again, this time, (again) regarding the guy commemorated in ...

huetii as in:
• the Scarlet-shouldered Parrotlet Touit huetii TEMMINCK 1830 (OD, here + Plate here, or in Martin's Post #1, last link), as "PSITTACUS HUETII" (note the spelling, of the French name; Perroguet Hüet [sic] on the Plate, also typed as such in the bottom left corner!), a k a Huet's Parrot alt. Huet's Parrotlet, alt. Toui de Huet (in French).

Additional (and possibly contradictory!) info might be found in the book below (in which I assume "our guy", the very dedicatee himself, ought to be included):

Les Hüet : Jean Baptiste et ses trois fils, by C. Gabillot, "1892", (here, all in French, and as such I´m, more or less, disconnected), though see pp.130-134 (+ onwards, and elsewhere).

The full context of it is way beyond me, but I cannot help noticing that Monsieur Gabillot consistently, throughout this book use the spelling Hüet ... with the dots (diaeresis) on top of the u, not over the e). Surely, when writing such a detailed monograph, any Author would use, and ought to know, the very spelling/version of how to write his (and their) Surname. As well as his, and their resp. years (and dates).

Or?

Enjoy!

Björn

I agree all this artists in the family are very confusing. Neverheless I think Jean-Baptiste Huet (1772-1852) may not a natural history artist, while the death registration of Nicolas Geneviève Huët shows a connection to Lucien Alphonse Prévost who was artist in the Muséum national d’histoire naturelle.

But the discussion above about the death hint in OD counts in favour of Nicolas Geneviève Huët.

Nevertheless the question is at least for me not 100 % clear which Huët illustrated with Jean-Gabriel Prêtre Nouveau recueil de planches coloriées d’oiseaux from Coenraad Jacob Temminck. Title page here only claims:

D'après les Dessins de MM. HUET et PRÊTRE, Peintre attachés au Muséum d'Histoire naturelle, et au grand ouvrage de la commision d'Égypte

Last one to find here (could be in general even the father if published in 1809).

Title page Collection de mammifères du Muséum d'histoire naturelle shows J-B Huet as graveur and assume the other Nicolas as artist. Similar in the Avis de L'Éditeur which talks about the brother (son frère).

Last edited:
Though; he's (still) throughout this Family monograph consistently claimed as (and nothing but) Nicolas Hüet (with the same repeated Birth year):
CHAPITRE IX
[...]
... NICOLAS HÜET, l’aîné des trois, vint au monde au Louvre, en 1770. ...
[...]
Nicolas Hüet, né en 1770 (dit Deleuze, dans son histoire du Museum, publiée en 1823, par les ordres de l’Administration du Muséum), fut nommé dessinateur au Muséum après ...

[... and onwards]
And; who died: "Il mourut le 26 décembre 1830, sans laisser d’enfants. .." (on p.134) ?

Also note the foot-note on page 138 [below; François (Villiers) Hüet], clearly pointing out that: "M. Charles Blanc fait une erreur au sujet des âges respectifs de Nicolas et de Villiers; c’est Nicolas qui est l’aîné et non Villiers. Nicolas est né en 1770 et Villiers comme on le voit en 1772."

To me that looks like Monsieur Blanc was pretty convinced, and sure of this claim.

And (maybe) equally noteworthy; in this book (from what little I can tell), "Geneviève" seems to be a name only used on Females.

/B
--

Last edited:
Though; he's (still) throughout this Family monograph consistently claimed as (and nothing but) Nicolas Hüet (with the same repeated Birth year):
And; who died: "Il mourut le 26 décembre 1830, sans laisser d’enfants. .." (on p.134) ?

Also note the foot-note on page 138 [below; François (Villiers) Hüet], clearly pointing out that: "M. Charles Blanc fait une erreur au sujet des âges respectifs de Nicolas et de Villiers; c’est Nicolas qui est l’aîné et non Villiers. Nicolas est né en 1770 et Villiers comme on le voit en 1772."

To me that looks like Monsieur Blanc was pretty convinced, and sure of this claim.

And (maybe) equally noteworthy; in this book (from what little I can tell), "Geneviève" seems to be a name only used on Females.

/B

Yes he got it from his mother if you look at the death registration. Marie Geneviève Chevalier. We can find:

CONTRAT DE MARIAGE ENTRE JEAN - BAPTISTE HUËT ET MARIE - GENEVIÈVE CHEVALIER , Paris , 20 novembre 1769 . ( Le second contrat daté du 23 novembre ne comporte pas de modifications dans la liste des æuvres d ' art )

or

In 1769 , he married Marie - Geneviève Chevalier ( d . 1781 ) . The marriage contract documents Huët ' s activity both as an engraver and as a collector of prints .

Maybe to explain as in 1767 he would be a illegitimate child? More on her death e.g. here but here:

Nicolas Huet, peintre du garde-meuble du roi

Last edited:
Martin, I cannot argue this case with any success, or progress, simply as I can't read, nor understand any of those French texts, unable to value whatever they tell us, if relevant, irrelevant, logic, illogic, etc., etc, or not. I just wanted to point out the little I actually can find, or found, whatever I could spot, seemingly or possibly interesting ... simply as I'm (still) not convinced, far from it; both regarding his (full) name, and of how to write it, as well as his years.

Either way, I will, both gladly and sadly, leave this certain topic (both the huetii Parrotlet, and the guy behind it) in more capable French-knowing hands.

Though, I will certainly return regarding David's "Alcippe Hueti", todays huetalkippa (in Swedish), one day, onwards, ... whenever time allow.

Until then; Hüet, Huët, Huet ... (which, to me, looks just about the way a Nuthatch sounds) ;)

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back