• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humming bird died in my garage. (1 Viewer)

edteach

United States
I was working in my garage, it has 15 foot ceilings, I heard a humming bird buz in and start to fly around the peak. I thought she would go out on her own, it was a ruby throat female. She just kept buzzing in the peak. So I used a piece of foam sheeting to try to coax her out. She kept buzzing around the foam. She would land on a cross beam and open her mouth. I thought maybe she was exhausted so I opened the roll up as high as it would go and finished up what I was doing hoping she would just pop out the big roll up. She did not, then I noticed she flew into a gap in the foam insulation in the peak. I knew that was hot so I put my ladder on my rolling scaffold and strapped it down. I noticed her feathers were hanging out the gap so I climbed up and got her in my hand very lightly and thought that I could just let her go outside. I opened my hand and she did not move. She was stiff. From the time she flew into the gap and when I got up was under 5 min. I don't know what the heck happened. Anyone have something like this happen to you before?

Yes, it is such a drag. Sorry you had to deal with it. At least she had someone that cared for her and was sending her well wishes.

Do you have hummingbird feeders? The last time a hummy got in our garage we put a few feeders just under the garage door and left it open a couple feet, then evacuated the garage so we did not scare the bird. It worked!

The problem for me is my wife and I are building a work shop on a property we are going to build a home for retirement on. I would have had to lock her in for the night and come back in the AM. Its about 50 min to my home to the property. I was hoping she would go out before I had to lock the garage down. If It was at my home I would have moved my feeder to the garage door. I put a tie dyed shirt that had pink and red on it by the garage door in hopes it would attract her. I don't think she was interested in feeding. She was buzzing the peak frantically. I was worried she was exhausting herself.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Is there a possibility that she had a nest inside the garage and that is why she was acting frantically to get back in?

I don't think so the garage is relitivly new and its been closed up when I am not there working. I have never saw any HB in there before, so I would say most likely not. My guess is I have a 10 foot coke sign and its red, I was thinking it may have coaxed her inside all that red.

Oh what a shame! Thank you for trying even though it didn't work out.

Hi Ed and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hummingbirds love getting in a car garage, especially with a white ceiling. They will keep flying up to the ceiling and won't go low to get out.
I've learned you have to let them wear themselves out flying around. may take an hour or more, be patient.
get a plastic-bristle broom lightly press them to the ceiling w/ the broom bristles. they will naturally grip the broom bristles with their feet. count to 2/3 then drop the broom FAST to the floor level near the opening and they will fly out. i've saved many with this technique.

Hummingbirds love getting in a car garage, especially with a white ceiling. They will keep flying up to the ceiling and won't go low to get out.
I've learned you have to let them wear themselves out flying around. may take an hour or more, be patient.
get a plastic-bristle broom lightly press them to the ceiling w/ the broom bristles. they will naturally grip the broom bristles with their feet. count to 2/3 then drop the broom FAST to the floor level near the opening and they will fly out. i've saved many with this technique.
Thanks for this! I had several Anna's in my shop this year at different times (high, white ceiling). I'll definitely try this in the future. I just leave the roll-up open and hope they'll find their way out. They sure like to stay up high though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back