• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbird feeders (1 Viewer)

Bonnnie Jean

United States
Last year we had at least 8-10 Hummingbirds coming to our yard and feeders. The wasps and bees moved in and overtook them all. We purchased new ones that had great reviews and bees and wasps could not get anything out of but the hummers don't have a problem. After changing them out the hummers acted like they didn't recognize them as feeders. It was late in the season and most were starting their migration. This year we put out the feeders and I watch the hummers come in the yard and look around and they do not recognize them as feeders. Has anyone else had this problem and how do we get them to know these feeders are ok?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Sometimes it takes a little while for birds to get used to new feeders. Good luck.

First off, welcome to the forum. I’ve used a wide variety of feeders over the years, haven’t noticed the hummers not using any of them. I think they will ”find” them if left up.

Last year we had at least 8-10 Hummingbirds coming to our yard and feeders. The wasps and bees moved in and overtook them all. We purchased new ones that had great reviews and bees and wasps could not get anything out of but the hummers don't have a problem. After changing them out the hummers acted like they didn't recognize them as feeders. It was late in the season and most were starting their migration. This year we put out the feeders and I watch the hummers come in the yard and look around and they do not recognize them as feeders. Has anyone else had this problem and how do we get them to know these feeders are ok?
I had bees flying around my feeder Too. I bought a trap for wasp, hornet, & yellow jacket (w.h.y. Trap). I hung it about 3ft away from the feeder and it worked great. I haven‘t seen any bees this year & I’ve only seen one bird so far. It doesn’t come around too much and I haven’t it in a little over a week now. The weather has been cooler and idk if that might be why.

First off, welcome to the forum. I’ve used a wide variety of feeders over the years, haven’t noticed the hummers not using any of them. I think they will ”find” them if left up.
I‘m in NC and haven‘t seen as many birds as I have had in past years. I’ve only seen one so far but I haven’t seen it in a week or so. Changing the water and making the same mixture as I did last year. The weather has been a little cooler then last year. Could that be why?

Any pictures of what they look like.

Brian [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back