• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Hummingbird from Costa Rica ? (1 Viewer)

rgtmp_fr

France
Hi,

For this hummingbird taken some years ago in August and in Costa Rica, close to volcan Poas, I've been told it should be from the genus Heliomaster, with probability being a Long-billed starthroat, or possibly a Plain-capped starthroat.
That's the only picture I have from this bird,

Thanks in advance for your hints,

regards

Régis

Attachments

• IMG_3655 (2).JPG
    IMG_3655 (2).JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 37

THE_FERN

Without certainty...

I'm not sure it's possible to unequivocally id this based on this photo, however:
  • No sign of the post-ocular steak you expect in plain-capped points to long-billed
  • Ebird maps suggest plain-capped may be restricted to just south of volcan poas whereas long-billed spans it

rgtmp_fr

France
Many thanks,
Effectively, I don't remember the exact spot, but it was located between Volcan Poas, and Volcan Arenal, so a priori outside the Plain-capped's zone,
So most probably a long-billed,

Régis

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
To me it looks like a young Green-crowned Brilliant. Different genus but the shape of the feathers around the base of the bill looks exactly right for Heliodoxa.
Niels

Jean FRANCOIS

To me it looks like a young Green-crowned Brilliant. Different genus but the shape of the feathers around the base of the bill looks exactly right for Heliodoxa.
Niels
With black on throat and ear-coverts and white at the end of the tail ??
Friendly
Jean FRANCOIS

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
With black on throat and ear-coverts and white at the end of the tail ??
Friendly
Jean FRANCOIS
To me it looks like deep shadow on the near side of the bird and the tips of the tail feathers being translucent of light from the back. I therefore did not put much stock into the colors seen. Buff in the loral area is typical of young of the genus Heliodoxa.
Niels

THE_FERN

Niels
No clear post ocular spot (what you see is a highlight or reflection*) and I don't think the vent pattern is right for that species. I don't think the throat "pattern" is shadow.

*Edit: actually it's probably real. This smudgey spot is right for the starthroat, though, post ocular in the brilliant should be more clearly defined

AveryBartels

It is evidently a juvenile, based on the orange gape, which complicates things somewhat as juvenile hummers are rarely illustrated in field guides. However, I can't seem to find anything to suggest it is not a Brown Violetear. The tail is all shaded so the dark subterminal band is not evident, unfortunately, as that would help clear things up.

Users who are viewing this thread