• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Garden (1 Viewer)

Chris35rt

We have always wanted a garden for hummingbirds and after a few trips to some local gardens and seeing what attracted them the best me and my wife made this yesterday, they are already using the feeder but are slowly starting to check the plants out. We planted 5 cigar plants and 4 Crocosmia.

Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• hummingbirdgarden_0212.jpg
    hummingbirdgarden_0212.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149
Good luck Chris; I am in Queens NY and I have attracted a Female Ruby Throat for 4 years in a row after putting out feeders. Keep your feeders clean, change the nectar often and and you will get visitors. Also, if you have space, consider Honeysuckle, Cardinal Flower and Butterfly Bushes...they like them as well.

I agree with the cardinal flower (lobelia cardinalis) and am quite taken with texas sage. The hummers actually love it so I've cultivated many, many plants from the dried flower spikes.

Hi KC..I have no experience with Sage...though I have considered Scarlet Sage(Salvia Splendens). I have to look up and see if it will work in my zone. I do have Bee Balm, which do nicely late Spring through Early Summer, but I would like to maintain a continuous supply of nectar sources besides the Feeders.

The Anna's Hummingbirds in my yard are strongly attracted to Lily of the Nile and Cape Fuchsia. In southern Africa, where these plants are native, they are pollinated by sunbirds, which have a similar ecological role to the hummers in the New World.

I'm not sure how well Cape Fuchsia will adapt to the humid South Carolinian climate, but I know I have seen Lily of the Nile growing well in southern Louisiana on multiple occasions.

Great article, I'm having trouble attracting hummingbirds to my back yard. I will definitely try some of the tips offered up. Whether they will work in my zone I'm not sure but it's worth a try. I love watching hummingbirds I just find them mesmerizing in their own little way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back