• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Hummingbird ID - Corpus Christi, Texas (1 Viewer)

rubonix

Had this hummer show today on a few backyard feeders. Only heard a single strong chip call on occasion. Rufous Hummingbird?

thx

-r

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Agree Rufous, although technically not sure if Allen's can be excluded without seeing the spread tail (Allen's is much rarer in the eastern US though, so Rufous far more likely).

SanAngelo

Nice catch.

It's worth submitting to eBird as a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - Selasphorus rufus/sasin.

eBird has a single report of an Allen's in Bexar County and three reports of a Rufous in Grayson, Irion, and Tom Green County.

The Tom Green County bird is at my house.

It's been a crazy year for hummers in Texas. I've had 3 Anna's and a few Rufous.

The current Rufous has been here 25 days, the first 13 days it was submitted as a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird. On 30 November I finally got shots of it's tail feathers.

The longest staying Anna's was a female who left on the 7th, she was here 36 days.

In 2018 I had a Rufous here for 45 days, he left on December 22nd.

Anyway, it's worth throwin' it up on eBird.......ABA uses those numbers, it's a good thing to document it in my opinion.

rubonix

Nice catch.

It's worth submitting to eBird as a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - Selasphorus rufus/sasin.

eBird has a single report of an Allen's in Bexar County and three reports of a Rufous in Grayson, Irion, and Tom Green County.

The Tom Green County bird is at my house.

It's been a crazy year for hummers in Texas. I've had 3 Anna's and a few Rufous.

The current Rufous has been here 25 days, the first 13 days it was submitted as a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird. On 30 November I finally got shots of it's tail feathers.

The longest staying Anna's was a female who left on the 7th, she was here 36 days.

In 2018 I had a Rufous here for 45 days, he left on December 22nd.

Anyway, it's worth throwin' it up on eBird.......ABA uses those numbers, it's a good thing to document it in my opinion.
Thx. Yeah, I’m an EBirder so I’ll be getting the info up.

SanAngelo

I didn't think Rufous was unusual in winter along the Gulf of Mexico?

It's not their regular winter-over territory but many do. Expanding their range..?? My understanding is; they're not in great numbers so you don't know where they'll turn up. If you have 'em one year you might not be lucky enough to have 'em the next.

For the Gulf Coast, I don't know how eBird designate this species; rare verses common. Here in Tom Green County this bird is common up thru November 30th. On 1 December it turns into a rare bird sighting.

As for their migration, they come thru Tom Green County on their way south via the Rocky Mountain region. In the spring their route north is up the Pacific Coast.

In April 2017 a wayward Rufous came thru Tom Green County on it's way north. Had it at my house for about a week. Got a lot joy from hosting that bird.

Stewardship is pleasant work in the spring but it can be a chore as fall turns to winter. TGC already had 5 or 6 days of freezing temperatures, I think we have 3 more due next week. More than once those temps snuck up on me, had to use a hair dryer to thaw out the feeders.

We normally don't have winter-over hummingbirds in TGC. Our locals. Black-chinned, know enough to get out of town by the end of October but these migrants get stuck here every now and then. The Rufous I have is the only one reported for TGC, I would think there would be more sightings if people kept their feeders out. There's a Rufous hanging on a feeder the next county over, about 60 miles from me.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Stewardship is pleasant work in the spring but it can be a chore as fall turns to winter. TGC already had 5 or 6 days of freezing temperatures, I think we have 3 more due next week. More than once those temps snuck up on me, had to use a hair dryer to thaw out the feeders.

We normally don't have winter-over hummingbirds in TGC. Our locals. Black-chinned, know enough to get out of town by the end of October but these migrants get stuck here every now and then.
They're not getting stuck, they know they can rely on people with hair dryers 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread