• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird identification confirmation (1 Viewer)

Kelly Thorson

Hi,
I have some footage of what I believe is a female (or perhaps juvenile?) Ruby throated Hummingbird. This is the only common species to my area, Saskatchewan, Canada. Unfortunately there was never a male with the three hummingbirds that visited my feeder so I am having trouble being positive of the identification, we do have Anna's, Rufous, black chinned and Calliope Hummingbirds although they are much rarer.
If anyone could check my footage and see if I have it right I would appreciate it. I do stock photography and it is important to have the correct species.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-23758822-stock-footage-female-ruby-throated-hummingbird-archilochus-colubris-feeding-at-a-red-and-blue-hummingbird.html?src=gallery/DzsTKfgdVnJn7cr3z48O0A:1:1

KLooks good for either Ruby-throated of Black-chinned. I checked eBird and there are no records of Black-chinned for Saskatchewan, so I guess it is really rare there and would be comfortable calling the video a Ruby-throated.

Andy

Thank you Andy, Is this likely a juevenile, it seems a bit scruffy for a female from the pictures I have seen and there is no visible black and white markings on the end of the tail feathers?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back