• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, Iguazu Dec 2019 (1 Viewer)

Wimpy

Help!

These hummingbirds are driving me nuts. The two books I have are next to useless. Ebirds is of some use but still I can't definitely ID this and some of the others.
Is it a gilded am I being confused by the dark light?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• P1190755 - LR (Custom).jpg
    P1190755 - LR (Custom).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
For me even though you can't see the throat/belly, the shockingly red bill, and lack of any blue tones on the head/neck, would make me say Gilded Hummingbird instead of Versicolored Emerald.

As an aside, I agree field guides for Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay (and most of Brazil) are pretty miserable. The Narosky Argentina book is useful to remind yourself of a few things and distributions but learning and ID'ing the birds and the fieldmarks based on the photos and artwork is a huge challenge. I tend to refer to eBird/Cornell/HBW for range info and to field guides for surrounding countries for artwork. When I am birding in the field in Misiones and want to carry a field guide I carry the WCS/Ridgely guide to SE Brazil as the artwork is so much better even if it's missing a few species and doesn't have applicable range information.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back