• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds and Wasps (1 Viewer)

Susan C

I have lots of yellowjackets in my yard this summer, and have not seen many hummingbirds. I usually get a few Rubythroats, especially now that they are beginning migration. There is actually a wasp nest under the tube baffle that covers the pole for the feeders. Will they be enough of a threat to keep the hummers away? I don't want to be spraying the nest with pesticides however, so have put up a couple of hanging wasp catchers in the area.
Any thoughts?
Thanks - Susan C

Hi,

I know it is a little scary but I would remove the nest as well. If the yellow jackets are attracted to the nectar, try using a dish feeder. Their tongues are not long enough to reach the food. If there is no food for them maybe they will move on to another food source.

John

Thanks for your suggestions - I was afraid of that! Anyone have a safe way of removing wasp nests - can it be done at night when they are sleeping?!

yea when they are sleeping u could knock it down with a stick, or i suggest using a hose and squirting them down. but u might want to be careful either way, idk if they will come after u at night if they get mad enough...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back